Re: copy text in insert mode

  • Tim Chase
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 8, 2013
      On 01/08/13 06:09, vicky b wrote:
      > is there by any chance an option to copy text in insert mode

      Not exactly. You nned to jump to Normal mode to copy text.
      However, you can *paste* text in Insert mode from various registers
      by using control+R followed by the register name (by default, the
      double-quote). You can read up at

      :help i_CTRL-R

      -tim

    • vicky b
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 8, 2013
        hmm ,  there are  few things which i find quiet inconvenient but other wise vim is superior to other editors , once more such thing is like if i edit a characeter in each line then i have to edit the char go back to normal mode press j then edit and cycle repeats is there a  any other way

        --
        Thanks & Regards
         Vickyb

      • Christian Brabandt
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 8, 2013
          On Tue, January 8, 2013 13:09, vicky b wrote:
          > is there by any chance an option to copy text in insert mode

          :set guioptions+=a keymodel=startsel,stopsel

          Now you can in insert mode visually select your text using
          Shift+Cursor keys and the selection will be automatically copied
          to the clipboard.

          regards,
          Christian

        • Tim Chase
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 8, 2013
            On 01/08/13 07:05, vicky b wrote:
            > hmm , there are few things which i find quiet inconvenient but other wise
            > vim is superior to other editors ,

            I forgot to mention that:

            1) if you're running in X (rather than MacVim or on Win32), and
            2) you don't have Vim set to intercept the mouse, and
            3) the text you want to copy/paste is completely on the screen

            you can select the text in your terminal window, and then paste the
            selection buffer using

            <c-r>*

            all without leaving Insert mode. Granted, your hands leave the
            home-row, but only you can decide whether that trade-off is worth
            it. I, like many other Vimmers, tend to spend most of my time in
            Normal mode, so I'm only ever in Insert mode for the insertion of
            text and then I reflexively hit <esc> to return to Normal mode.
            Drew Neil mentions this in his recently-released "Practical Vim"
            (full disclosure: I was a tech reviewer for the book)

            > once more such thing is like if i edit a characeter in each line
            > then i have to edit the char go back to normal mode press j then
            > edit and cycle repeats is there a any other way

            I'm not sure I fully understand your edit cycle. If you're
            replacing characters with the same character, you can do it once
            with "r" in normal mode and then use the dot (".") command to repeat
            it while moving around in normal mode. If there's a pattern to the
            locations in which it happens, you may be able to use a :s///
            command to locate them and change them accordingly (possibly using
            the "c" flag to do them selectively).

            You can also move around in Insert mode (or Replace mode if that
            facilitates your editing) using the arrow-keys. It's not illegal,
            just that it can be less efficient, so many people eschew using them.

            For my basic understanding of your process, you'd hit "R" to go into
            Replace mode, then type your letter, hit <down>, <left>, next
            letter, repeat until done.

            -tim

          • Gary Johnson
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 8, 2013
              On 2013-01-08, vicky b wrote:
              > hmm , there are few things which i find quiet inconvenient but other wise vim
              > is superior to other editors , once more such thing is like if i edit a
              > characeter in each line then i have to edit the char go back to normal mode
              > press j then edit and cycle repeats is there a any other way

              If you are changing one character in each line, you can use the r
              command. If all the characters are in the same column, you can just
              type

              the new character on the first line
              jr
              the new character on the second line
              jr

              and so on.

              To change all the characters in one column to the same character,
              you can either type

              the new character
              j.

              and keep repeating j. for each line to be changed, or you can type

              Ctrl-V

              and keep typing j until the desired column is highlighted, then type

              the new character

              HTH,
              Gary