VIM seems in a parallel world

  • Vincent Becquevort
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 8, 2013

      I just installed VIM 7.3.46 on Windows and it seems to don’t see exactly the same files has Windows did.

      When I open vim and type :! Dir, I get the result on screen1.

      When I do the same in PowerShell (dir), I get the result on screen2.

      We see that via vim, “Profile.ps1” is missing and test.txt doesn’t have the same size and the same content. In fact, test.txt was created with vim and contains only “this is a test”. On powershell, test.txt is a copy of Profile.ps1.
      If I open test.txt from anywhere with notepad++, I get my profile. If I did with vim or gvim, I get “this is a test”.

      Why this difference?

      Kind regards,

      Vincent

    • lordkrandel
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 8, 2013
        On 08/01/2013 11:14, Vincent Becquevort wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I just installed VIM 7.3.46 on Windows and it seems to don’t see exactly the same files has Windows did.

        Can you please check this folder on your system:

        C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0

        --
        Wyrmskull

      • Ben Fritz
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 8, 2013
          On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 7:11:09 AM UTC-6, lordkrandel wrote:
          > On 08/01/2013 11:14, Vincent Becquevort wrote:
          > > I just installed VIM 7.3.46 on Windows and it seems to don�t see exactly the same files has Windows did.
          >
          > Can you please check this folder on your system:
          >
          > C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0

          Yes. Because a standard Vim install is a 32-bit application, any 64-bit Windows system (i.e. most systems purchased new in the last few years and some prior to that) will transparently redirect any references to C:\Windows\System32 to C:\Windows\SysWow64 instead.

          You can force Vim (or any other 32-bit application) to access the 64-bit folder using C:\Windows\Sysnative. See the following thread:

          https://groups.google.com/d/topic/vim_dev/Z4e-WQ92uiM/discussion

          The other option is to either compile a 64-bit Vim yourself, or find one that somebody else built. There are a couple listed here:

          http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Download

        • Vincent Becquevort
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 8, 2013
            Le mardi 8 janvier 2013 11:14:00 UTC+1, Vincent Becquevort a écrit :
            > Hi,
            >

            > I just installed VIM 7.3.46 on Windows and it seems to don’t see exactly the same files has Windows did.
            >

            > When I open vim and type :! Dir, I get the result on screen1.
            >

            > When I do the same in PowerShell (dir), I get the result on screen2.
            >

            > We see that via vim, “Profile.ps1” is missing and test.txt doesn’t have the same size and the same content. In fact, test.txt was created with vim and contains only “this is a test”. On powershell, test.txt is a copy of Profile.ps1.
            >
            > If I open test.txt from anywhere with notepad++, I get my profile. If I did with vim or gvim, I get “this is a test”.
            >

            > Why this difference?
            >

            > Kind regards,
            >

            > Vincent

            Thanks,

            I tried a WIN64 version that works very well.

            regards,

            Vincent