Re: column alignment ?

  • Charles Campbell
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 7, 2013
      stosss wrote:
      > I start out with this:
      >
      > text text
      > more text more text
      > still more text still more text
      >
      > I want to end up with this:
      >
      > text text
      > more text more text
      > still more text still more text
      >
      > I have no idea what help to look for or if this is even possible
      > except for doing it manually. Is there a way to use a specific column
      > on each line to accomplish this with maybe a s/search/replace/ ?

      What separates the two sets of text?

      If its a tab, and using the Align plugin
      (http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#ALIGN):

      use V+motion to select lines
      \tab

      Regards,
      Chip Campbell

    • Gary Johnson
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 7, 2013
        On 2013-01-07, Charles Campbell wrote:
        > stosss wrote:
        > >I start out with this:
        > >
        > >text text
        > >more text more text
        > >still more text still more text
        > >
        > >I want to end up with this:
        > >
        > >text text
        > >more text more text
        > >still more text still more text
        > >
        > >I have no idea what help to look for or if this is even possible
        > >except for doing it manually. Is there a way to use a specific column
        > >on each line to accomplish this with maybe a s/search/replace/ ?
        > >
        > What separates the two sets of text?
        >
        > If its a tab, and using the Align plugin
        > (http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#ALIGN):
        >
        > use V+motion to select lines
        > \tab

        And if it's not a tab but is just a sequence of two or more spaces,
        you could convert those sequences to tabs as part of Chip's
        solution:

        use V+motion to select lines
        gv
        \tab