RE: Command history

  • John Beckett
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 2013
      Laskhara Singh wrote:
      > How do I recall the keystrokes history?

      In Vim, a "command history" is a log of the Ex commands entered
      (those commands that with ":", like ":tabe" or ":help :tabe".

      As stated, you can see that history by typing q:
      See
      http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Using_command-line_history

      I suspect you may have meant the weird keys you can type in
      normal mode that can sometimes do interesting things. There is
      no log of those keys.

      You could kludge a log by recording a macro, see
      http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Macros

      Or you could use a command line argument when starting Vim,
      for example:

      gvim -w keylog.txt file.txt

      In the above, you are editing file.txt, and keys typed will be
      written to keylog.txt.

      I don't think either of these techniques would be helpful as
      what you really want to know is "what were the last few keys I
      typed?", and that's not particularly easy to answer in a helpful
      manner.

      John