Re: Command history

  • stosss
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 2013
      Hi Chris,

      On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 12:16 AM, Chris Schneider
      <chris@...> wrote:
      > q: most likely is what you're talking about. It is the history of all your
      > commands.
      >
      > Similarly, q/ is your recent searches.

      Thanks! I had thought about that myself.

    • John Beckett
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 2013
        Laskhara Singh wrote:
        > How do I recall the keystrokes history?

        In Vim, a "command history" is a log of the Ex commands entered
        (those commands that with ":", like ":tabe" or ":help :tabe".

        As stated, you can see that history by typing q:
        See
        http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Using_command-line_history

        I suspect you may have meant the weird keys you can type in
        normal mode that can sometimes do interesting things. There is
        no log of those keys.

        You could kludge a log by recording a macro, see
        http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Macros

        Or you could use a command line argument when starting Vim,
        for example:

        gvim -w keylog.txt file.txt

        In the above, you are editing file.txt, and keys typed will be
        written to keylog.txt.

        I don't think either of these techniques would be helpful as
        what you really want to know is "what were the last few keys I
        typed?", and that's not particularly easy to answer in a helpful
        manner.

        John