Re: Command history

  • Chris Schneider
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 2013
      q: most likely is what you're talking about. It is the history of all your commands.

      Similarly, q/ is your recent searches.

      On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 9:14 PM, Laskhara Singh <relativityguy@...> wrote:
      Hello

      New to vim and sometimes I type some keystrokes by mistake and they lead
      to some interesting results. This can be helpful in learning..!

      How do I recall the keystrokes history?

    • stosss
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 2013
        Hi Chris,

        On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 12:16 AM, Chris Schneider
        <chris@...> wrote:
        > q: most likely is what you're talking about. It is the history of all your
        > commands.
        >
        > Similarly, q/ is your recent searches.

        Thanks! I had thought about that myself.

      • John Beckett
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 6, 2013
          Laskhara Singh wrote:
          > How do I recall the keystrokes history?

          In Vim, a "command history" is a log of the Ex commands entered
          (those commands that with ":", like ":tabe" or ":help :tabe".

          As stated, you can see that history by typing q:
          See
          http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Using_command-line_history

          I suspect you may have meant the weird keys you can type in
          normal mode that can sometimes do interesting things. There is
          no log of those keys.

          You could kludge a log by recording a macro, see
          http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Macros

          Or you could use a command line argument when starting Vim,
          for example:

          gvim -w keylog.txt file.txt

          In the above, you are editing file.txt, and keys typed will be
          written to keylog.txt.

          I don't think either of these techniques would be helpful as
          what you really want to know is "what were the last few keys I
          typed?", and that's not particularly easy to answer in a helpful
          manner.

          John