Command history

  • Laskhara Singh
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 2013
      Hello

      New to vim and sometimes I type some keystrokes by mistake and they lead
      to some interesting results. This can be helpful in learning..!

      How do I recall the keystrokes history?

    • Chris Schneider

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 6, 2013
          Hi Chris,

          On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 12:16 AM, Chris Schneider
          <chris@...> wrote:
          > q: most likely is what you're talking about. It is the history of all your
          > commands.
          >
          > Similarly, q/ is your recent searches.

          Thanks! I had thought about that myself.

        • John Beckett
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 6, 2013
            Laskhara Singh wrote:
            > How do I recall the keystrokes history?

            In Vim, a "command history" is a log of the Ex commands entered
            (those commands that with ":", like ":tabe" or ":help :tabe".

            As stated, you can see that history by typing q:
            See
            http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Using_command-line_history

            I suspect you may have meant the weird keys you can type in
            normal mode that can sometimes do interesting things. There is
            no log of those keys.

            You could kludge a log by recording a macro, see
            http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Macros

            Or you could use a command line argument when starting Vim,
            for example:

            gvim -w keylog.txt file.txt

            In the above, you are editing file.txt, and keys typed will be
            written to keylog.txt.

            I don't think either of these techniques would be helpful as
            what you really want to know is "what were the last few keys I
            typed?", and that's not particularly easy to answer in a helpful
            manner.

            John