Re: StartUp of Gvim is too slow

  • John Little
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 6, 2013
      On Monday, January 7, 2013 6:19:58 AM UTC+13, niva wrote:

      > by profiling ?

      See
      :help slow-start
      :help --startuptime

      Also, which version and OS, and configuration? There are some gotchas we could advise you on (such as the -X mentioned in slow-start).

      Regards, John Little

    • niva
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 7, 2013
        Le dimanche 6 janvier 2013 18:19:58 UTC+1, niva a écrit :
        > Hi,I think it automd that make startup of X Gvim session to slow but how can I know that ? by profiling ?Thanks for your advises

        I have checked that Gvim is faster without loading plugins and vimrc by this command :
        gvim -u NONE -U NONE -N "$@"

        So, now, i would like to call a function that is in one plugin.

        Is it possible to load only one plugin and without _vimrc ?

        Thanks you

      • Marc Weber
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 7, 2013
          Excerpts from niva's message of Mon Jan 07 11:35:04 +0100 2013:
          > Is it possible to load only one plugin and without _vimrc ?
          github.com/MarcWeber/vim-addon-manager

          let's you choose which plugins to activate easily.
          It also supports loading plugins at runtime as needed.

          grep its documentation for filetype which will tell you how to activate
          plugins if you edit a specific filetype only.

          The interesting question is how to tell vim which plugin to load.
          Env vars could be used:

          V_P='my-plugin' vim # start vim passing V_P env var set to my-plugin
          then read $V_P inside you .vimrc and load my-plugin this way.

          Of course there are more solutions. This is my (biased) recommendation.
          Marc Weber

        • lith
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 7, 2013

            Alternatively, you could use the tplugin script (http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=2917), which will define proxy commands & catch calls to undefined functions (similar to the AsNeeded plugin) in order to enable plugins only when they are needed. You have to run the :TPluginScan command first in order to enable tplugin. You can still use VAM or a similar plugin manager to download & update your plugins.