Re: Vim on the iPad

  • Eric Weir
    Message 1 of 57 , Jan 3, 2013
      On Dec 31, 2012, at 2:43 PM, stosss wrote:

      > Eric, you have a lot more flexibility with Android than you do with
      > ipad. My computer runs Linux and my phone runs Android and my nook
      > runs Android. I can do the same things on both the nook and the phone.
      > I have not attempted to run Vim on either. I much rather sit in front
      > of my large wide screen desktop monitor for text editing.

      Thanks, Stosss. I understand. As you may have noticed, I decided to stick with the Mac environment. All Linux or all Mac are feasible---except with respect to Vim on the latter---but I'm not up for the hassles of figuring out how to combine the two.

      And like you, I may have to content myself to composing and editing on my other machine, a laptop for me. My experience is limited---about three days, now---but composing, let alone editing, even a sentence on the iPad is excruciating. With a keyboard it might be different, but I'm not there yet.

      My main reason for wanting a tablet was for reading and annotating pdfs, which with the combination of Dropbox and PDF Expert, looks to be no sweat.

      I don't know, if someone would give me a good price on a linux system, laptop and tablet, already configured to work together I might be tempted down the road, as my MacBook is getting a little long in the tooth these days.

      Eric Weir
      Decatur, GA
      eeweir@...

      "The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are
      full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

      - Charles Bukowski

    • Eric Weir
      Message 57 of 57 , Apr 25, 2013
        Thanks, Jeroen,

        On Apr 23, 2013, at 4:33 PM, Jeroen Budts wrote:

        > On 04/22/2013 03:55 PM, Eric Weir wrote:
        >
        > Maybe try creating a documents folder inside the /storage/emulated/0/
        > directory. I think from inside Vim Touch you will be able to refer to
        > that as ~/documents, so that your existing configuration works.

        Yes, it worked.

        > That mostly depends on your personal preference and the length of your
        > .vimrc file. I try to keep only one .vimrc, but my vimrc is over 600
        > lines, so maintaining multiple copies would be a disaster. I do however
        > also maintain a 'mini-vimrc'-file with the (for me) bare minimum config,
        > which I use on my Raspberry Pi and on servers.

        Ah, you have a Raspberry Pi. You seem to go in for minatures. Except in .vimrcs. Mine is a lot shorter.

        >> With a little more experience with the tablet under my belt I am
        >> still thinking about returning the Nexus 7---I have 14 days from
        >> date of purchase to do so---and exchanging it for a nexus 7. While
        >> I'm impressed with the android apps I've found, I see myself
        >> continuing to do everything but run vim on the ipad. Again, what do
        >> you think?
        >
        > Again this is personal preference. Before the Nexus 7, I had a 10"
        > tablet (from Eken) because I suspected that a 7" would be to small. Now
        > that I have a 7", I actually prefer that because it is much more
        > convenient to take with me.
        > But on the Nexus 7 in landscape mode you only have a few lines available
        > for the content of your file as the keyboard fills up half the screen,
        > as you can see on this screenshot:
        > https://www.dropbox.com/s/576imukfgedxter/Screenshot_2013-04-23-22-20-44.png
        > (I have the font size set to 14pt in Vim Touch).
        > In portrait there is a lot more space, but the hackers keyboard becomes
        > really tiny. On my Nexus 4 (4.7") I use also use the hackers keyboard
        > for Vim Touch but there I use the compact qwerty layout for portrait
        > (it's somewhere in the settings of the keyboard).

        I'm gonna give it a shot on the 7. My vim window on my macbook is pretty small. About 11 X 11 cm. If I can get Vim Touch running satisfactorily and find the 7 too small, I'll get myself another 10.

        Didn't know about the compact qwerty layout.

        Eric Weir
        Decatur, GA
        eeweir@...

        "Everywhere the crisis of the private financial system
        has been transformed into a tale of slovenly and overweening government
        that perpetuates and is perpetuated by a dependent and demanding population."

        - Marilynne Robinson