Re: question: vim copy to another place, eg:doc

  • Gary Johnson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2013
      On 2013-01-03, lei yang wrote:
      > Hi experts,
      >
      > I know in one text,we can use "yy" to copy something to another place
      > in text, if I can't to copy something to another place, eg: from a
      > text,and copy something using vim, and paste( we don't need to use
      > vim) something to another place, how could I do? the real question is
      > how chould I put something to the vim chipboard. and it can paste to
      > another place( doc, terminal)

      As Marc and Tim have written, to copy and paste easily between Vim
      running in a terminal and the X clipboard, you will need a version
      of Vim with clipboard, X11 and xterm_clipboard enabled.
      Unfortunately, the vim packages provided by some of the more popular
      Linux distributions do not have these features enabled. If your vim
      does not have those features, and you have gvim installed, you can
      get vim in a terminal with X features enabled by running

      gvim -v

      HTH,
      Gary

    • Phil Dobbin
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2013
        On 01/03/2013 02:15 AM, lei yang wrote:

        > Hi experts,
        >
        > I know in one text,we can use "yy" to copy something to another place
        > in text, if I can't to copy something to another place, eg: from a
        > text,and copy something using vim, and paste( we don't need to use
        > vim) something to another place, how could I do? the real question is
        > how chould I put something to the vim chipboard. and it can paste to
        > another place( doc, terminal)

        I use these mappings to make copy & paste easier:

        '"Yank content in OS's clipboard
        vnoremap <leader>yo "*y
        "Paste content from OS's clipboard
        nnoremap <leader>po "*p'

        For this to work in console Vim, Vim would have to be complied
        +clipboard as has been mentioned. If it has, these would need to be
        appended to your ~/.vimrc.

        Cheers,

        Phil...

        --
        currently (ab)using
        CentOS 5.8 & 6.3, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Beefy & Spherical,
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2013
          On 1/3/13, Phil Dobbin <phildobbin@...> wrote:
          > On 01/03/2013 02:15 AM, lei yang wrote:
          >
          >> Hi experts,
          >>
          >> I know in one text,we can use "yy" to copy something to another place
          >> in text, if I can't to copy something to another place, eg: from a
          >> text,and copy something using vim, and paste( we don't need to use
          >> vim) something to another place, how could I do? the real question is
          >> how chould I put something to the vim chipboard. and it can paste to
          >> another place( doc, terminal)
          >
          > I use these mappings to make copy & paste easier:
          >
          > '"Yank content in OS's clipboard
          > vnoremap <leader>yo "*y
          > "Paste content from OS's clipboard
          > nnoremap <leader>po "*p'

          I tried many times.My vim is built in +chipboard
          question:
          1)" ---> press shift+" ? to get " ?
          2)"*y, need press at the same time?
          3)how could I select the content I want to copy? can you give me a
          whole process about this ?

          Thanks
          Lei

          > For this to work in console Vim, Vim would have to be complied
          > +clipboard as has been mentioned. If it has, these would need to be
          > appended to your ~/.vimrc.
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Phil...
          >
          > --
          > currently (ab)using
          > CentOS 5.8 & 6.3, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Beefy & Spherical,
          > Lubuntu 12.10, OS X Snow Leopard & Ubuntu Precise & Quantal

        • Nicolas Dermine
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 2, 2013

            On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 5:44 AM, lei yang <yanglei.fage@...> wrote:
            On 1/3/13, Phil Dobbin <phildobbin@...> wrote:
            > On 01/03/2013 02:15 AM, lei yang wrote:
            >
            >> Hi experts,
            >>
            >> I know in one text,we can use "yy"  to copy something to another place
            >> in text, if I can't to copy something to another place, eg: from a
            >> text,and copy  something using vim, and paste( we don't need to use
            >> vim) something  to another place, how could I do? the real question is
            >> how chould I put something to the vim chipboard. and it can paste to
            >> another place( doc, terminal)
            >
            > I use these mappings to make copy & paste easier:
            >
            > '"Yank content in OS's clipboard
            > vnoremap <leader>yo "*y
            > "Paste content from OS's clipboard
            > nnoremap <leader>po "*p'

            I tried many times.My  vim is built in +chipboard
            question:
            1)"  ---> press shift+" ? to get " ?
            2)"*y, need press at the same time?
            3)how could I select the content I want to copy? can you give me a
            whole process about this ?

            Thanks
            Lei

            hi Lei,

            1) juste as you would write a double quote normally. On my swiss keyboard that would be Shift + the key where I have 2, " and @.

            2) press ", * and y one after the other

            3) you can visually select the content you want to copy.
            For example, in normal mode, if your cursor is on the line you want to copy, pressing V will visually select the line.
            Vj will select the line and the following line. V} will select the line and the following lines in the paragraph.
            If you want to select a word, if your cursor is on the first letter, typing vw will visually select the word.
            If you have mouse support you can also select with the mouse.

            nico