question: vim copy to another place, eg:doc

  • lei yang
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2013
      Hi experts,

      I know in one text,we can use "yy" to copy something to another place
      in text, if I can't to copy something to another place, eg: from a
      text,and copy something using vim, and paste( we don't need to use
      vim) something to another place, how could I do? the real question is
      how chould I put something to the vim chipboard. and it can paste to
      another place( doc, terminal)

      Lei

    • Marc Weber
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2013
        Excerpts from lei yang's message of Thu Jan 03 03:15:33 +0100 2013:
        > Hi experts,
        >
        > I know in one text,we can use "yy" to copy something to another place
        > in text, if I can't to copy something to another place, eg: from a
        > text,and copy something using vim, and paste( we don't need to use
        > vim) something to another place, how could I do? the real question is
        > how chould I put something to the vim chipboard. and it can paste to
        > another place( doc, terminal)
        set clipboard=unnamed

        or use "+yy for yanking

        See :h 'clipboard' etc.

        Eventually vim must be compiled with X, if you don't have it there is
        a plugin using xclip instead.

        Marc Weber

      • Tim Chase
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2013
          On 01/02/13 20:15, lei yang wrote:
          > I know in one text,we can use "yy" to copy something to another place
          > in text, if I can't to copy something to another place, eg: from a
          > text,and copy something using vim, and paste( we don't need to use
          > vim) something to another place, how could I do? the real question is
          > how chould I put something to the vim chipboard. and it can paste to
          > another place( doc, terminal)

          I think (if I understand your intent) you want to use the "+" or "*"
          register, assuming your vim is built with +clipboard

          You can check the output of

          :version

          to make sure that you have a build with "+clipboard" rather than
          "-clipboard". You can then specify the register you want, such as

          "+yy

          to yank the line to the system clipboard. You may want to read at

          :help clipboard
          :help registers
          :help quoteplus
          :help quotestar

          (If you use Windows, there is no difference between "*" and "+"; if
          you use an X Window system, there's a subtle difference)

          -tim

        • Gary Johnson
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 2, 2013
            On 2013-01-03, lei yang wrote:
            > Hi experts,
            >
            > I know in one text,we can use "yy" to copy something to another place
            > in text, if I can't to copy something to another place, eg: from a
            > text,and copy something using vim, and paste( we don't need to use
            > vim) something to another place, how could I do? the real question is
            > how chould I put something to the vim chipboard. and it can paste to
            > another place( doc, terminal)

            As Marc and Tim have written, to copy and paste easily between Vim
            running in a terminal and the X clipboard, you will need a version
            of Vim with clipboard, X11 and xterm_clipboard enabled.
            Unfortunately, the vim packages provided by some of the more popular
            Linux distributions do not have these features enabled. If your vim
            does not have those features, and you have gvim installed, you can
            get vim in a terminal with X features enabled by running

            gvim -v

            HTH,
            Gary

          • Phil Dobbin
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 2, 2013
              On 01/03/2013 02:15 AM, lei yang wrote:

              > Hi experts,
              >
              > I know in one text,we can use "yy" to copy something to another place
              > in text, if I can't to copy something to another place, eg: from a
              > text,and copy something using vim, and paste( we don't need to use
              > vim) something to another place, how could I do? the real question is
              > how chould I put something to the vim chipboard. and it can paste to
              > another place( doc, terminal)

              I use these mappings to make copy & paste easier:

              '"Yank content in OS's clipboard
              vnoremap <leader>yo "*y
              "Paste content from OS's clipboard
              nnoremap <leader>po "*p'

              For this to work in console Vim, Vim would have to be complied
              +clipboard as has been mentioned. If it has, these would need to be
              appended to your ~/.vimrc.

              Cheers,

              Phil...

              --
              currently (ab)using
              CentOS 5.8 & 6.3, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Beefy & Spherical,
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 2, 2013
                On 1/3/13, Phil Dobbin <phildobbin@...> wrote:
                > On 01/03/2013 02:15 AM, lei yang wrote:
                >
                >> Hi experts,
                >>
                >> I know in one text,we can use "yy" to copy something to another place
                >> in text, if I can't to copy something to another place, eg: from a
                >> text,and copy something using vim, and paste( we don't need to use
                >> vim) something to another place, how could I do? the real question is
                >> how chould I put something to the vim chipboard. and it can paste to
                >> another place( doc, terminal)
                >
                > I use these mappings to make copy & paste easier:
                >
                > '"Yank content in OS's clipboard
                > vnoremap <leader>yo "*y
                > "Paste content from OS's clipboard
                > nnoremap <leader>po "*p'

                I tried many times.My vim is built in +chipboard
                question:
                1)" ---> press shift+" ? to get " ?
                2)"*y, need press at the same time?
                3)how could I select the content I want to copy? can you give me a
                whole process about this ?

                Thanks
                Lei

                > For this to work in console Vim, Vim would have to be complied
                > +clipboard as has been mentioned. If it has, these would need to be
                > appended to your ~/.vimrc.
                >
                > Cheers,
                >
                > Phil...
                >
                > --
                > currently (ab)using
                > CentOS 5.8 & 6.3, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Beefy & Spherical,
                > Lubuntu 12.10, OS X Snow Leopard & Ubuntu Precise & Quantal

              • Nicolas Dermine
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 2, 2013

                  On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 5:44 AM, lei yang <yanglei.fage@...> wrote:
                  On 1/3/13, Phil Dobbin <phildobbin@...> wrote:
                  > On 01/03/2013 02:15 AM, lei yang wrote:
                  >
                  >> Hi experts,
                  >>
                  >> I know in one text,we can use "yy"  to copy something to another place
                  >> in text, if I can't to copy something to another place, eg: from a
                  >> text,and copy  something using vim, and paste( we don't need to use
                  >> vim) something  to another place, how could I do? the real question is
                  >> how chould I put something to the vim chipboard. and it can paste to
                  >> another place( doc, terminal)
                  >
                  > I use these mappings to make copy & paste easier:
                  >
                  > '"Yank content in OS's clipboard
                  > vnoremap <leader>yo "*y
                  > "Paste content from OS's clipboard
                  > nnoremap <leader>po "*p'

                  I tried many times.My  vim is built in +chipboard
                  question:
                  1)"  ---> press shift+" ? to get " ?
                  2)"*y, need press at the same time?
                  3)how could I select the content I want to copy? can you give me a
                  whole process about this ?

                  Thanks
                  Lei

                  hi Lei,

                  1) juste as you would write a double quote normally. On my swiss keyboard that would be Shift + the key where I have 2, " and @.

                  2) press ", * and y one after the other

                  3) you can visually select the content you want to copy.
                  For example, in normal mode, if your cursor is on the line you want to copy, pressing V will visually select the line.
                  Vj will select the line and the following line. V} will select the line and the following lines in the paragraph.
                  If you want to select a word, if your cursor is on the first letter, typing vw will visually select the word.
                  If you have mouse support you can also select with the mouse.

                  nico