Re: Vim on the iPad

  • Eric Weir
    Message 1 of 57 , Jan 2, 2013
      On Dec 31, 2012, at 1:04 PM, Benjamin Klein wrote:

      > From Wikipedia: “iOS is derived from OS X, with which it shares the Darwin foundation, and is therefore a Unix operating system.” So to the iOS question: Yes. And you can get at a lot of the underlying Unix OS if you’re OK with jailbreaking — but there are plenty of power user types that decide to not do that, and it probably would require a bit of hacker-type setup to be able to comfortably use Vim on a jailbroken iPad with files etc. managed by hand through the filesystem.

      I was just curious, Benjamin. Even with *a lot* of hand-holding I wouldn't think of attempting to jailbreak an iPad.

      > Be warned that I have never used an Android device. :} However from what I have read it seems that although there is no native Android file browser, there are multiple choices from third parties for this (the most popular or well-known seems to be Astro —https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.metago.astro&hl=en). And there are also nice terminal emulators in Google Play (for Android). So in an Android tablet it looks like you would have the filesystem issue taken care of, and it would only remain to be seen if the native vim included in whatever Android variant you ended up using would be usable enough for the type of writing that you do.

      After checking out some of the Android tablets I decided I was willing to put out the extra $100 to $150 and bit the bullet for an iPad. I'll put the issue of running Vim off till I get comfortable with the iPad, especially communicating with my MacBook.

      At that point I may take a look at the option David Sanson suggested back in September. The main problem there I imagine is not having access to a server. I am not affiliated with an institution or company that would make that available to me.

      Thanks for your suggestions.

      Sincerely,
      Eric Weir
      Decatur, GA USA
      eeweir@...

      "The most important thing is the tee-shirt."

      Samara Alnafdage

    • Eric Weir
      Message 57 of 57 , Apr 25, 2013
        Thanks, Jeroen,

        On Apr 23, 2013, at 4:33 PM, Jeroen Budts wrote:

        > On 04/22/2013 03:55 PM, Eric Weir wrote:
        >
        > Maybe try creating a documents folder inside the /storage/emulated/0/
        > directory. I think from inside Vim Touch you will be able to refer to
        > that as ~/documents, so that your existing configuration works.

        Yes, it worked.

        > That mostly depends on your personal preference and the length of your
        > .vimrc file. I try to keep only one .vimrc, but my vimrc is over 600
        > lines, so maintaining multiple copies would be a disaster. I do however
        > also maintain a 'mini-vimrc'-file with the (for me) bare minimum config,
        > which I use on my Raspberry Pi and on servers.

        Ah, you have a Raspberry Pi. You seem to go in for minatures. Except in .vimrcs. Mine is a lot shorter.

        >> With a little more experience with the tablet under my belt I am
        >> still thinking about returning the Nexus 7---I have 14 days from
        >> date of purchase to do so---and exchanging it for a nexus 7. While
        >> I'm impressed with the android apps I've found, I see myself
        >> continuing to do everything but run vim on the ipad. Again, what do
        >> you think?
        >
        > Again this is personal preference. Before the Nexus 7, I had a 10"
        > tablet (from Eken) because I suspected that a 7" would be to small. Now
        > that I have a 7", I actually prefer that because it is much more
        > convenient to take with me.
        > But on the Nexus 7 in landscape mode you only have a few lines available
        > for the content of your file as the keyboard fills up half the screen,
        > as you can see on this screenshot:
        > https://www.dropbox.com/s/576imukfgedxter/Screenshot_2013-04-23-22-20-44.png
        > (I have the font size set to 14pt in Vim Touch).
        > In portrait there is a lot more space, but the hackers keyboard becomes
        > really tiny. On my Nexus 4 (4.7") I use also use the hackers keyboard
        > for Vim Touch but there I use the compact qwerty layout for portrait
        > (it's somewhere in the settings of the keyboard).

        I'm gonna give it a shot on the 7. My vim window on my macbook is pretty small. About 11 X 11 cm. If I can get Vim Touch running satisfactorily and find the 7 too small, I'll get myself another 10.

        Didn't know about the compact qwerty layout.

        Eric Weir
        Decatur, GA
        eeweir@...

        "Everywhere the crisis of the private financial system
        has been transformed into a tale of slovenly and overweening government
        that perpetuates and is perpetuated by a dependent and demanding population."

        - Marilynne Robinson