Re: displaying unicode control sequences

  • Moshe Kamensky
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2012
      * Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> [01/01/13 01:52]:
      > Hi Moshe,
      >
      > On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 12:47:09 +0200
      > Moshe Kamensky <moshe.kamensky@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > I am editing a document that contains the bidi control sequences LRE
      > > (unicode 202a) and PDF (unicode 202c). These characters are displayed
      > > with their unicode value in angle brackets, like this: <202a>. As a
      > > result, the line breaking (among other things) is wrong. This happens
      > > both in the gui (gtk2) and in the terminal, despite the fact that the
      > > font I am using appears to have glyphs for these characters. So my
      > > question is, is it possible to cause vim to display the actual glyphs,
      > > instead of the unicode value?
      > >

      > Vim does not support bidirectional editing of bidirectional (mixed
      > Hebrew/Latin, Arabic/Latin , etc.) text - it can either display the text
      > left to right or right to left, with some fragments displayed reversed.
      >
      > Also see: http://ae-www.technion.ac.il/pkgs/t-z/vim/

      Thanks, I know vim itself doesn't support bidi, I'm using it with a
      terminal that (somewhat) supports it (urxvt with a perl plugin). The
      problem is that I sometimes need to insert explicit direction marks, and
      I would like them to be displayed properly, i.e., occupy only one cell.
      Otherwise, the display gets completely garbled.

      Thanks,
      Moshe