Re: displaying unicode control sequences

  • Shlomi Fish
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2012
      Hi Moshe,

      On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 12:47:09 +0200
      Moshe Kamensky <moshe.kamensky@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I am editing a document that contains the bidi control sequences LRE
      > (unicode 202a) and PDF (unicode 202c). These characters are displayed
      > with their unicode value in angle brackets, like this: <202a>. As a
      > result, the line breaking (among other things) is wrong. This happens
      > both in the gui (gtk2) and in the terminal, despite the fact that the
      > font I am using appears to have glyphs for these characters. So my
      > question is, is it possible to cause vim to display the actual glyphs,
      > instead of the unicode value?

      Vim does not support bidirectional editing of bidirectional (mixed
      Hebrew/Latin, Arabic/Latin , etc.) text - it can either display the text
      left to right or right to left, with some fragments displayed reversed.

      Also see: http://ae-www.technion.ac.il/pkgs/t-z/vim/

      Regards,

      Shlomi Fish

      > Thank you,
      > Moshe

    • Moshe Kamensky
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 31, 2012
        * Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> [01/01/13 01:52]:
        > Hi Moshe,
        >
        > On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 12:47:09 +0200
        > Moshe Kamensky <moshe.kamensky@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > I am editing a document that contains the bidi control sequences LRE
        > > (unicode 202a) and PDF (unicode 202c). These characters are displayed
        > > with their unicode value in angle brackets, like this: <202a>. As a
        > > result, the line breaking (among other things) is wrong. This happens
        > > both in the gui (gtk2) and in the terminal, despite the fact that the
        > > font I am using appears to have glyphs for these characters. So my
        > > question is, is it possible to cause vim to display the actual glyphs,
        > > instead of the unicode value?
        > >

        > Vim does not support bidirectional editing of bidirectional (mixed
        > Hebrew/Latin, Arabic/Latin , etc.) text - it can either display the text
        > left to right or right to left, with some fragments displayed reversed.
        >
        > Also see: http://ae-www.technion.ac.il/pkgs/t-z/vim/

        Thanks, I know vim itself doesn't support bidi, I'm using it with a
        terminal that (somewhat) supports it (urxvt with a perl plugin). The
        problem is that I sometimes need to insert explicit direction marks, and
        I would like them to be displayed properly, i.e., occupy only one cell.
        Otherwise, the display gets completely garbled.

        Thanks,
        Moshe