displaying unicode control sequences

  • Moshe Kamensky
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2012
      Hi,

      I am editing a document that contains the bidi control sequences LRE
      (unicode 202a) and PDF (unicode 202c). These characters are displayed
      with their unicode value in angle brackets, like this: <202a>. As a
      result, the line breaking (among other things) is wrong. This happens
      both in the gui (gtk2) and in the terminal, despite the fact that the
      font I am using appears to have glyphs for these characters. So my
      question is, is it possible to cause vim to display the actual glyphs,
      instead of the unicode value?

      Thank you,
      Moshe

    • Shlomi Fish
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 31, 2012
        Hi Moshe,

        On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 12:47:09 +0200
        Moshe Kamensky <moshe.kamensky@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I am editing a document that contains the bidi control sequences LRE
        > (unicode 202a) and PDF (unicode 202c). These characters are displayed
        > with their unicode value in angle brackets, like this: <202a>. As a
        > result, the line breaking (among other things) is wrong. This happens
        > both in the gui (gtk2) and in the terminal, despite the fact that the
        > font I am using appears to have glyphs for these characters. So my
        > question is, is it possible to cause vim to display the actual glyphs,
        > instead of the unicode value?

        Vim does not support bidirectional editing of bidirectional (mixed
        Hebrew/Latin, Arabic/Latin , etc.) text - it can either display the text
        left to right or right to left, with some fragments displayed reversed.

        Also see: http://ae-www.technion.ac.il/pkgs/t-z/vim/

        Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

        > Thank you,
        > Moshe

      • Moshe Kamensky
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 31, 2012
          * Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> [01/01/13 01:52]:
          > Hi Moshe,
          >
          > On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 12:47:09 +0200
          > Moshe Kamensky <moshe.kamensky@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I am editing a document that contains the bidi control sequences LRE
          > > (unicode 202a) and PDF (unicode 202c). These characters are displayed
          > > with their unicode value in angle brackets, like this: <202a>. As a
          > > result, the line breaking (among other things) is wrong. This happens
          > > both in the gui (gtk2) and in the terminal, despite the fact that the
          > > font I am using appears to have glyphs for these characters. So my
          > > question is, is it possible to cause vim to display the actual glyphs,
          > > instead of the unicode value?
          > >

          > Vim does not support bidirectional editing of bidirectional (mixed
          > Hebrew/Latin, Arabic/Latin , etc.) text - it can either display the text
          > left to right or right to left, with some fragments displayed reversed.
          >
          > Also see: http://ae-www.technion.ac.il/pkgs/t-z/vim/

          Thanks, I know vim itself doesn't support bidi, I'm using it with a
          terminal that (somewhat) supports it (urxvt with a perl plugin). The
          problem is that I sometimes need to insert explicit direction marks, and
          I would like them to be displayed properly, i.e., occupy only one cell.
          Otherwise, the display gets completely garbled.

          Thanks,
          Moshe