Re: Vim on the iPad

  • Benjamin Klein
    Message 1 of 57 , Dec 30, 2012
      On Dec 30, 2012, at 3:40 PM, Chris Schneider <chris@...> wrote:

      > Vim is usable on a remote server with my ipad & external keyboard.
      >
      > I use `prompt` to ssh up to a remote server I own and then just attach to tmux from there. Specifically I use a logitech ultrathin keyboard case. It works well enough, but there's no explicit esc key, so you need to get used to using ctrl-[ instead. Not that big of a deal if you do it often enough.

      Eric: Yes, this seems to be about the only practical method (short of jailbreaking) by which we currently can use Vim on an iPad: an external keyboard for input and a remote server (something other than your actual local filesystem) for the actual edited files.

      If you are willing to jailbreak your device, though (and this *is* a bit of a techie-ish thing to do, although I can say from my experience that some of the more popular tools for this are becoming quite usable for non-hacker-type users lately), a reasonable-sounding approach would be to do something like what I now see David Sanson suggested way back in September — use something like Prompt to ssh into localhost and use whatever vim is available there. I guess a downside to that approach would be that you don’t necessarily have a terribly-complete vim built in, but at that point you would be in a position to compile a flavor of your own choosing, with all of the generally-required dependencies. I have never yet had occasion to do this myself do perhaps I should cease to advise you on how best to do it, though. :}

      The last place of all to check in my opinion would be the iOS app. For me anything short of a standard filesystem would simply be too clumsy to work with, but worse than that, as of Nov. 14 this year it seems that the iOS app does not even have Dropbox support, and the only mentioned means of getting to your files is through iTunes File Sharing.

      So to summarize my rambling here:

      1. There isn’t yet a practical way of using standard “vim with filesystem” on iOS *without either jailbreaking or ssh-ing into a remote server.* (If there’s anyone on the list who knows of something available or being developed to answer this problem, please point this out to me.)

      2. The provided iOS keyboard is no good for Vim, so you should use an external keyboard of one form or another for maximum vimmability (whether a keyboard case or an Apple wireless keyboard).

      Sent from my iPhone

    • Eric Weir
      Message 57 of 57 , Apr 25, 2013
        Thanks, Jeroen,

        On Apr 23, 2013, at 4:33 PM, Jeroen Budts wrote:

        > On 04/22/2013 03:55 PM, Eric Weir wrote:
        >
        > Maybe try creating a documents folder inside the /storage/emulated/0/
        > directory. I think from inside Vim Touch you will be able to refer to
        > that as ~/documents, so that your existing configuration works.

        Yes, it worked.

        > That mostly depends on your personal preference and the length of your
        > .vimrc file. I try to keep only one .vimrc, but my vimrc is over 600
        > lines, so maintaining multiple copies would be a disaster. I do however
        > also maintain a 'mini-vimrc'-file with the (for me) bare minimum config,
        > which I use on my Raspberry Pi and on servers.

        Ah, you have a Raspberry Pi. You seem to go in for minatures. Except in .vimrcs. Mine is a lot shorter.

        >> With a little more experience with the tablet under my belt I am
        >> still thinking about returning the Nexus 7---I have 14 days from
        >> date of purchase to do so---and exchanging it for a nexus 7. While
        >> I'm impressed with the android apps I've found, I see myself
        >> continuing to do everything but run vim on the ipad. Again, what do
        >> you think?
        >
        > Again this is personal preference. Before the Nexus 7, I had a 10"
        > tablet (from Eken) because I suspected that a 7" would be to small. Now
        > that I have a 7", I actually prefer that because it is much more
        > convenient to take with me.
        > But on the Nexus 7 in landscape mode you only have a few lines available
        > for the content of your file as the keyboard fills up half the screen,
        > as you can see on this screenshot:
        > https://www.dropbox.com/s/576imukfgedxter/Screenshot_2013-04-23-22-20-44.png
        > (I have the font size set to 14pt in Vim Touch).
        > In portrait there is a lot more space, but the hackers keyboard becomes
        > really tiny. On my Nexus 4 (4.7") I use also use the hackers keyboard
        > for Vim Touch but there I use the compact qwerty layout for portrait
        > (it's somewhere in the settings of the keyboard).

        I'm gonna give it a shot on the 7. My vim window on my macbook is pretty small. About 11 X 11 cm. If I can get Vim Touch running satisfactorily and find the 7 too small, I'll get myself another 10.

        Didn't know about the compact qwerty layout.

        Eric Weir
        Decatur, GA
        eeweir@...

        "Everywhere the crisis of the private financial system
        has been transformed into a tale of slovenly and overweening government
        that perpetuates and is perpetuated by a dependent and demanding population."

        - Marilynne Robinson