Re: Capture output of command line completion in script

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 29, 2012
      Christian Brabandt wrote:

      > On Mi, 26 Dez 2012, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      >

      > > Christian Brabandt wrote:

      > > > Bram,
      > > > here is a patch, that enables redirecting when using <ctrl-d> for
      > > > commandline completion:
      > >
      > > Hmm, I wonder why this request was made. Wouldn't it be more useful to
      > > add a Vim script function to access the completions?
      >
      > Right. But shouldn't :redir also be useable to capture all available
      > completions? We can still think about adding another completion
      > vimscript function for returning all matches.

      That depends. If someone uses :redir to capture the result of a
      command, then the list of completions just gets in the way. Generally,
      redirection is to capture the output of the command, not what was done
      to edit it. We could perhaps add a flag to :redir to also capture
      everything that was typed and displayed, but that's getting complicated.
      With a Vim funtion it should be a lot easier and straightforward to get
      what you want.

      206. You religiously respond immediately to e-mail, while ignoring
      your growing pile of snail mail.