vim: vim plugin rate system

  • ping
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 29, 2012
      hi guys:
      I had a (stupid) questions for a long time not ask yet.
      when I browse the vim plugin sites, I always took a quite look at the
      current "rate"/"download" counters.
      my guess is the ratio mostly reflect how "good"(I know, there is no
      simple standard, don't want to argument that part) that plugin is and
      how people like it.

      say, this "script karma" line:

      * script karma * Rating*1290/366*, Downloaded by 7451
      * Comments, bugs, improvements * Vim wiki
      <http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Script:2975>

      and, consider these rate options:

      *rate this script*Life ChangingHelpfulUnfulfilling

      so in average, 7451 persons rate it as "3.52459", which is between
      "helpful"(3) and life changing(4)?

      in contrast, rate for this script:
      *script karma * Rating*3/3*, Downloaded by 380
      * Comments, bugs, improvements * Vim wiki
      <http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Script:2355>

      so only 3 persons rate it , in average to "1", means "helpful"?
      "unfulfilling"?

      so I'm a bit confused here...

    • Marc Weber
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 29, 2012
        Well - maybe often - but there are some well known cases where
        malicious downvotings have taken place - so just don't trust them.

        One famous example is vim-addon-manager:
        In the past it has had a good voting - and suddenly voting dropped.

        I could fetch the details from the dabase - I'm too lazy this time.

        I can digg up old posting why I think the voting is bad:
        It doesn't provide feedback to the programmer about how to improve a
        plugin. It just leads to bad feelings everywhere.

        Never ever trust votings anywhere on the internet unless you know
        votings were written by a friend.

        Marc Weber