Re: Announcement : http://vim.begin-site.org/ - The Vim Beginners' Site

  • Shlomi Fish
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 29, 2012
      Hi Ben,

      On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 16:22:36 -0800 (PST)
      Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:

      > On Thursday, December 27, 2012 1:41:11 AM UTC-6, Shlomi Fish wrote:
      > >
      > > In any case, while the wiki is a useful resource,
      > > as some people told me on IRC:
      > >

      > > <<<
      > > the vim wiki is a mess, the help is too hard to navigate for
      > > newcomers
      > > >>>

      > It's a wiki. I think fixing the wiki would be easier than starting over from
      > scratch. For beginners, there is even a "getting started" section with some
      > decent starter tips. It's easy enough for any community-edited page to become
      > "a mess", all it takes is a lot of "drive by editing" and not enough
      > long-term maintainers.

      Right, and that's why I sometimes prefer a centrally managed static or mostly
      static HTML site, which I have control of, and which I can edit locally using
      Vim (or $EDITOR_OF_CHOICE), a nice terminal emulator (I'm using konsole) and
      shell (Bash in my case), and a nice version control system. Add to that that
      the MediaWiki syntax is horrible, and that the Wikimedia people have a separate
      mailing list for ranting about the horrible code and design of its parser.

      There are other problems with Wikis such as rampant spam, but Wikia appears to
      handle them pretty well so far (touch wood).

      In any case, adding a common navigation menu is easier in Jekyll than it would
      be in a Wikia MediaWiki instance that I don't control, but I guess I can
      contribute to http://vim.wikia.com/ as well.

      Also see:
      http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/fortunes/show.cgi?id=perl-petdance-thousand-flowers .

      > > Another problem with the wiki is that being hosted on Wikia, there are some
      > > intrusive ads by default.
      > >

      > I can't argue with that. But most of the time the ads are normal easily
      > ignored banner ads. And you can create an account and log in to hide most of
      > those.

      True, but many (most?) people who stumble upon the Wiki will run into the ads
      (assuming they are not using AdBlock Plus or whatever), and it leaves a bad
      taste in the mouth.

      Regards,

      Shlomi Fish