(g)vimdiff not working (?)

  • dadkind
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 24, 2012
      Hello All,
      On one of my computers (only one) diff doesn't seem to be working. (This is a 7.3.46 installation on a Windows 7 x64 machine).

      Usually, I select two files in Windows Explorer and right-click|"Diff with Vim" and things work as they should. I've also tried launching this from the command line with the same results.

      But on one of my computers, the two files open in their respective window (panels(?) in the main window) as expected, but all the code is "folded".

      If I expand the folded text, nothing is highlighted, and the tracking doesn't seem to be working.

      I looked at the options for the two windows and everything is as expected:
      "Cursorbind foldcolumn=2 helplang=En scrollbind
      diff foldmethod=diff scroll=11 nowrap "

      I use the same _vimrc and _gvimrc file on all my computers and I've tried deleteing the _viminfo file in my home drive.

      But still no highlighting. Again, this is happening only on one of my computers. I've even tried installing GnuWin version of Diff, but that didn't help.

      Any other suggestions on troubleshooting this?

      Thanks!!

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 25, 2012
        On 24/12/12 20:28, dadkind wrote:
        > Hello All,
        > On one of my computers (only one) diff doesn't seem to be working. (This is a 7.3.46 installation on a Windows 7 x64 machine).
        >
        > Usually, I select two files in Windows Explorer and right-click|"Diff with Vim" and things work as they should. I've also tried launching this from the command line with the same results.
        >
        > But on one of my computers, the two files open in their respective window (panels(?) in the main window) as expected, but all the code is "folded".
        >
        > If I expand the folded text, nothing is highlighted, and the tracking doesn't seem to be working.
        >
        > I looked at the options for the two windows and everything is as expected:
        > "Cursorbind foldcolumn=2 helplang=En scrollbind
        > diff foldmethod=diff scroll=11 nowrap "
        >
        > I use the same _vimrc and _gvimrc file on all my computers and I've tried deleteing the _viminfo file in my home drive.
        >
        > But still no highlighting. Again, this is happening only on one of my computers. I've even tried installing GnuWin version of Diff, but that didn't help.
        >
        > Any other suggestions on troubleshooting this?
        >
        > Thanks!!

        If diff is working as expected, but with no highlighting, then maybe on
        that computer you've got no syntax highlighting, or a different colorscheme?

        1. Look near the middle of the output of the :version command to see
        where Vim looks for a "system vimrc file" and/or a "system gvimrc file".
        Check if these files exist on your various systems, and if they do, what
        they contain.

        2. :echo syntax_on
        This data item should exist with value 1. If this is not the case you
        lack a ":syntax on" statement somewhere in your vimrc.

        3. :echo colors_name
        This data item may or may not exist. If it doesn't (and syntax_on has
        the value 1), you're using Vim's default colours. If it does, it is the
        name of the colorscheme currently in use. In the latter case, check the
        "colors" subdirectory (if it exists) of all directories (if they exist)
        named in the 'runtimepaths' option, in the order they are listed, for a
        file of that name plus .vim — the first one found is the colorscheme
        actually being used. Unlike for other kinds of plugins, for colorschemes
        Vim does *not* take account of any additional |after-directory| (q.v.)
        once it has found a colorscheme of the desired name.

        VOICE OVER: As the horrendous Black Beast lunged forward, escape for Arthur
        and his knights seemed hopeless, when, suddenly ... the
        animator
        suffered a fatal heart attack.
        ANIMATOR: Aaaaagh!
        VOICE OVER: The cartoon peril was no more ... The Quest for Holy Grail could
        continue.
        PICTURES LTD

      • Christian Brabandt
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 25, 2012
          Hi dadkind!

          On Mo, 24 Dez 2012, dadkind wrote:

          > Hello All,
          > On one of my computers (only one) diff doesn't seem to be working. (This is a 7.3.46 installation on a Windows 7 x64 machine).
          >
          > Usually, I select two files in Windows Explorer and right-click|"Diff with Vim" and things work as they should. I've also tried launching this from the command line with the same results.
          >
          > But on one of my computers, the two files open in their respective window (panels(?) in the main window) as expected, but all the code is "folded".
          >
          > If I expand the folded text, nothing is highlighted, and the tracking doesn't seem to be working.
          >
          > I looked at the options for the two windows and everything is as expected:
          > "Cursorbind foldcolumn=2 helplang=En scrollbind
          > diff foldmethod=diff scroll=11 nowrap "
          >
          > I use the same _vimrc and _gvimrc file on all my computers and I've tried deleteing the _viminfo file in my home drive.
          >
          > But still no highlighting. Again, this is happening only on one of my computers. I've even tried installing GnuWin version of Diff, but that didn't help.
          >
          > Any other suggestions on troubleshooting this?

          is diff.exe actually working? Please test, that the expression above
          :h E810 works (e.g. the commandlines works for you).

          regards,
          Christian
          --
          Der Deutsche soll alle Sprachen lernen, damit ihm zu Hause kein
          Fremder unbequem, er aber in der Fremde überall zu Hause sei.

        • Kevin O'Gorman
          Message 4 of 4 , May 5, 2013
            I finally hit on using the -g switch with vimdiff.  That made it use the full color palette of X (I'm on Linux).