Vundle and mercurial repos

  • Marco
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 22, 2012
      Hi,

      I use Vundle to manage my plugins. Is it possible to add a
      plugin stored in a mercurial repository?

      Marco
    • Phil Dobbin
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 22, 2012
        On 12/22/2012 04:12 PM, Marco wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I use Vundle to manage my plugins. Is it possible to add a
        > plugin stored in a mercurial repository?

        As it stands at the moment, it doesn't look like it can (but I'm no
        Vimscript expert).

        Have you tried to add a mercurial repo?

        Cheers,

        Phil...

        --
        currently (ab)using
        CentOS 5.8 & 6.3, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Beefy & Spherical,
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 22, 2012
          > I use Vundle to manage my plugins. Is it possible to add a
          > plugin stored in a mercurial repository?
          Why not grep the source for "hg" ? Because if it does it should be using
          the executable - so it should be easy to find.

          If it does not either patch Vundle or switch to
          github.com/MarcWeber/vim-addon-manager and be happy.

          There are more options like this (untested)
          http://felipec.wordpress.com/2012/11/13/git-remote-hg-bzr-2/

          Marc Weber

        • Marco
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 22, 2012
            On 2012–12–22 Marc Weber wrote:

            > > I use Vundle to manage my plugins. Is it possible to add a
            > > plugin stored in a mercurial repository?
            > Why not grep the source for "hg" ? Because if it does it should be using
            > the executable - so it should be easy to find.

            There's no “hg” in the Vundle source. I conclude that it's not
            supported then.

            > If it does not either patch Vundle or switch to
            > github.com/MarcWeber/vim-addon-manager

            I used the vim-addon-manager for years and recently switched to
            Vundle.

            > and be happy.

            It takes more than a stupid mercurial repo to make me unhappy ;)

            > There are more options like this (untested)
            > http://felipec.wordpress.com/2012/11/13/git-remote-hg-bzr-2/

            That sounds nice, indeed. Never heard of that project. I will
            definitely give it a try. I used one of the other tools mentioned in
            the blog with more or less success.

            Marco
          • Marco
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 22, 2012
              On 2012–12–22 Phil Dobbin wrote:

              > On 12/22/2012 04:12 PM, Marco wrote:
              >
              > > Hi,
              > >
              > > I use Vundle to manage my plugins. Is it possible to add a
              > > plugin stored in a mercurial repository?
              >
              > As it stands at the moment, it doesn't look like it can (but I'm no
              > Vimscript expert).
              >
              > Have you tried to add a mercurial repo?

              Yes, I tried and did not succeed. It does not seem to be supported.

              Marco
            • Marc Weber
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 22, 2012
                Excerpts from Marco's message of Sat Dec 22 23:32:08 +0100 2012:
                > I used the vim-addon-manager for years and recently switched to
                > Vundle.
                So what made you switch? If there are good reasons to prefer Vundle I'd
                like to add those to VAM's documentation so that users find it easier to
                use the best tool for teir job.

                Don't you miss features such as
                when editing specific filetypes?

                If you have had trouble with anything let us know so that we have a
                chance to fix it.

                Regards
                Marc Weber

              • Marco
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 23, 2012
                  On 2012–12–22 Marc Weber wrote:

                  > So what made you switch? If there are good reasons to prefer Vundle I'd
                  > like to add those to VAM's documentation so that users find it easier to
                  > use the best tool for teir job.

                  There was nothing particularly wrong with VAM which made me switch.
                  I changed other plugins as well. Having used both VAM and Vundle I
                  can conclude that both work fine for me. VAM has more features,
                  Vundle takes a more simplistic approach. One thing I like about
                  Vundle is how easy it is to add a plugin hosted on github. With VAM
                  I sometimes struggled to find the correct script name to provide for
                  the ActivateAddons call. But maybe that's just me.

                  > Don't you miss features such as
                  > when editing specific filetypes?

                  Frankly speaking, no. I never used it.

                  > If you have had trouble with anything let us know so that we have a
                  > chance to fix it.

                  I really appreciate the concerns to improve VAM. As I said there was
                  nothing wrong with it which made me switch.

                  Marco
                • Marc Weber
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 23, 2012
                    About VAM:

                    vam#ActivatedAddons(['github:name/repo']) will install any github repo
                    vam#ActivatedAddons(['git:path-to-repo']) will install any git repo

                    similar shortcuts exist for hg or could be added easily.

                    To find a name you can use :AddonInfo name/id/any-regex to find out about the
                    name. Its not perfect, but good enough. the 'any-regex' thing is new and
                    can be used to find plugin names by git url. Previously the only sane
                    way was to grep VAM-kr's db/scmsources.vim file.

                    Marc Weber

                  • Marco
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 23, 2012
                      On 2012–12–23 Marc Weber wrote:

                      > vam#ActivatedAddons(['github:name/repo']) will install any github repo
                      > vam#ActivatedAddons(['git:path-to-repo']) will install any git repo
                      >
                      > similar shortcuts exist for hg or could be added easily.
                      >
                      > To find a name you can use :AddonInfo name/id/any-regex to find out about the
                      > name.

                      Thanks for the info. Maybe I should give it another shot.

                      > Previously the only sane way was to grep VAM-kr's
                      > db/scmsources.vim file.

                      Yes, that's that I did.

                      Marco