Re: Vim Accidental Encryption - Am I SOL?

  • shawn wilson
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 14, 2012
      On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 9:32 AM, donothing successfully
      <donothingsuccessfully@...> wrote:

      > Is it not 96^4 possibilities? A much smaller number: ~85 million.
      > A quicker and dirtier approach might suffice.

      God, that's not the first time I've messed up basic algebra. I've got
      to do better about that. You're right of course - base is
      possibilities, exponent is length. The easy way of checking this is
      abc length of 2: aa, ab, ac, ba, bb, bc, ca, cb, cc = 9 or 3^2.

      > Or you could try to socially engineer yourself, a tired vimmer might have the
      > capslock on and type ':X' instead of ':x' and not notice the prompts,
      > so it might
      > be worth trying ':X', ':x' or similar.

      Modern hardware and brute force would have two symbols done in less
      than a second. If this is what the password, just start by brute
      forcing it and if it doesn't find anything after a minute or so, go to
      a dictionary (or rainbow table if there's a common hashing algorithm).
      And I feel I'm heading into OT territory for this list here :)

      I would like to hear the outcome of the OP's file (or process) though?

    • donothing successfully
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 14, 2012
        On 14 December 2012 15:12, shawn wilson <ag4ve.us@...> wrote:
        > On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 9:32 AM, donothing successfully
        > <donothingsuccessfully@...> wrote:
        >

        >> Is it not 96^4 possibilities? A much smaller number: ~85 million.
        >>

        > God, that's not the first time I've messed up basic algebra. […]

        Intermediate combinatorics at least.

        >> Or you could try to socially engineer yourself, […] so it might
        >> be worth trying ':X', ':x' or similar.
        >>

        > Modern hardware and brute force would have two symbols done in less
        > than a second.

        If there's an off-the-shelf cracker then that may be faster but a few guesses
        couldn't do any harm.

      • Erich Hoffmann
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 19, 2012
          Am Sun, 9 Dec 2012 17:30:20 +0100
          schrieb Erich Hoffmann <erichhoffmann@...>:

          > 你们好,

          [...]
          > 好吧,有不有个vimim人可以帮助我用vimim?
          > 谢谢!
          [...]
          > OK are there vimim guys out there willing to help me using vimmim?
          > Thanks in advance,
          >
          > eric

          Hello helpers. Thank you for your replies. It took me some time to
          delve into the topics, and I saw there is even more, like scim...I got
          the impression there is no way but just try every method for some time
          and see which is best *for me* - perhaps I'll have to take the data
          files and write some extra. Anyway thanks a lot!

          eric

        • ping

            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 19, 2012
              There's another choice: use fcitx with vim plugin fcitx-status

              --

              胡淼
              Sun Yat-sen University