Re: Vim Accidental Encryption - Am I SOL?

  • donothing successfully
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 14, 2012
      On 10 December 2012 02:42, shawn wilson <ag4ve.us@...> wrote:
      > On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 7:42 AM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:
      >
      >> Possibly you can write a script, that feeds various combinations to vim
      >> and checks, whether the file got decrypted. That sounds like a fun
      >> exercise.
      >>

      > Don't write a script to do this. Don't use vim to test the crypt. I
      > had a brief thought about writing a simple c program but here's the
      > thing, If you can download a program that goes through x passwords per
      > second and your program goes through x-100 passwords per second, and
      > you're looking at a length of only 4 with ~96 keyboard keys, you're
      > looking at 4^96 possibilities. So do the math for the difference that
      > can make. If an optimized script does 1 million per second and your
      > does 999,999,000 per second - and that's .000001% of a difference in
      > algorithm - you're liable to be much worse.

      Is it not 96^4 possibilities? A much smaller number: ~85 million.
      A quicker and dirtier approach might suffice.

      Or you could try to socially engineer yourself, a tired vimmer might have the
      capslock on and type ':X' instead of ':x' and not notice the prompts,
      so it might
      be worth trying ':X', ':x' or similar.

    • shawn wilson
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 14, 2012
        On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 9:32 AM, donothing successfully
        <donothingsuccessfully@...> wrote:

        > Is it not 96^4 possibilities? A much smaller number: ~85 million.
        > A quicker and dirtier approach might suffice.

        God, that's not the first time I've messed up basic algebra. I've got
        to do better about that. You're right of course - base is
        possibilities, exponent is length. The easy way of checking this is
        abc length of 2: aa, ab, ac, ba, bb, bc, ca, cb, cc = 9 or 3^2.

        > Or you could try to socially engineer yourself, a tired vimmer might have the
        > capslock on and type ':X' instead of ':x' and not notice the prompts,
        > so it might
        > be worth trying ':X', ':x' or similar.

        Modern hardware and brute force would have two symbols done in less
        than a second. If this is what the password, just start by brute
        forcing it and if it doesn't find anything after a minute or so, go to
        a dictionary (or rainbow table if there's a common hashing algorithm).
        And I feel I'm heading into OT territory for this list here :)

        I would like to hear the outcome of the OP's file (or process) though?

      • donothing successfully
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 14, 2012
          On 14 December 2012 15:12, shawn wilson <ag4ve.us@...> wrote:
          > On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 9:32 AM, donothing successfully
          > <donothingsuccessfully@...> wrote:
          >

          >> Is it not 96^4 possibilities? A much smaller number: ~85 million.
          >>

          > God, that's not the first time I've messed up basic algebra. […]

          Intermediate combinatorics at least.

          >> Or you could try to socially engineer yourself, […] so it might
          >> be worth trying ':X', ':x' or similar.
          >>

          > Modern hardware and brute force would have two symbols done in less
          > than a second.

          If there's an off-the-shelf cracker then that may be faster but a few guesses
          couldn't do any harm.

        • Erich Hoffmann
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 19, 2012
            Am Sun, 9 Dec 2012 17:30:20 +0100
            schrieb Erich Hoffmann <erichhoffmann@...>:

            > 你们好,

            [...]
            > 好吧,有不有个vimim人可以帮助我用vimim?
            > 谢谢!
            [...]
            > OK are there vimim guys out there willing to help me using vimmim?
            > Thanks in advance,
            >
            > eric

            Hello helpers. Thank you for your replies. It took me some time to
            delve into the topics, and I saw there is even more, like scim...I got
            the impression there is no way but just try every method for some time
            and see which is best *for me* - perhaps I'll have to take the data
            files and write some extra. Anyway thanks a lot!

            eric

          • ping

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 19, 2012
                There's another choice: use fcitx with vim plugin fcitx-status

                --

                胡淼
                Sun Yat-sen University