spell check latex German umlauts

  • Andreas Groh
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 13, 2012
      Hi @ all,

      I'm using the internal spell checker of vim7.3 to spell check my latex
      files. If I'm using German umlauts in Latex style (e.g. "a for ä) the
      double quotes are recognised as word separators and both (or even more)
      parts of the word are interpreted to be false.
      Is there a way to tell the spell checker to treat words containing such
      a construct as one word? If I remember it correctly the plugin vimspell
      (prior to vim 7) hat a variable (spell_german_tex_iskeyword) which could
      be used to control this behaviour. Right? Is there something similar for
      the internal spell checker?
      By the way, ispell (ispell -t bla.tex) does the spell checking correct,
      while aspell (aspell -t -c bla.tex) behaves like vim's spell checker.

      I know that one can directly use umlauts in latex
      (\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}), but sometimes a German keyboard is not
      available and then it is more convenient to use the Latex style solution
      ("a). Hence, I'm looking for a solution to check the text including "a,
      "u, etc..

      Any ideas?

      Thanks in advance and best regards.

      Andreas

    • Marco
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 13, 2012
        On 2012–12–13 Andreas Groh wrote:

        > I'm using the internal spell checker of vim7.3 to spell check my
        > latex files. If I'm using German umlauts in Latex style (e.g. "a for
        > ä)

        I cannot imagine something more ugly and unreadable.
        Remember: It's 2012, not 1978. Nowadays we have TeX engines with
        native Unicode support (LuaTeX, XeTeX).

        > I know that one can directly use umlauts in latex
        > (\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}), but sometimes a German keyboard is
        > not available and then it is more convenient to use the Latex style
        > solution ("a).

        Since you use vim anyway, I would strongly suggest to use a
        different input method (e.g. :digraphs, <Ctrl-k>a:, <Ctrl-v>u00e4,
        xkeymap, etc) to keep the Latex code free from the old deprecated
        umlauts syntax.

        > Hence, I'm looking for a solution to check the text
        > including "a, "u, etc..

        I'm sorry for not providing an answer to your question.

        Marco
      • Boyko Bantchev
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 13, 2012
          On 13 December 2012 12:13, Andreas Groh <andreas.groh@...> wrote:
          > I know that one can directly use umlauts in latex
          > (\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}), but sometimes a German keyboard is not
          > available and then it is more convenient to use the Latex style solution
          > ("a). Hence, I'm looking for a solution to check the text including "a, "u,
          > etc..

          Hi,
          I don't know the answer of precisely what you are looking for, but
          isn't using key maps a good solution? You could map "a etc. to the
          corresponding true umlauts, so that you would not need a German
          (physical) keyboard to enter them. This also has the additional advantage
          of making the TeX source more readable. Also, searching within Vim is
          a bit easier. You can make a couple of definitions in your vimrc, or you
          can use a separate keymap file.

        • Andreas Groh
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 13, 2012
            > Hi,
            > I don't know the answer of precisely what you are looking for, but
            > isn't using key maps a good solution? You could map "a etc. to the
            > corresponding true umlauts, so that you would not need a German
            > (physical) keyboard to enter them. This also has the additional advantage
            > of making the TeX source more readable. Also, searching within Vim is
            > a bit easier. You can make a couple of definitions in your vimrc, or you
            > can use a separate keymap file.

            Hi,

            Thanks for your reply. Of course, key mappings are a workaround. I
            included two functions to my .vimrc which can replace all umlauts in the
            document by the Latex style equivalent and vice versa.

            But I was wondering if the spell checker could do his job without these
            workarounds.

            Best regards.

            Andreas

            Andreas Groh phone : +49-351-463.34974
            Institut fuer Planetare Geodaesie fax : +49-351-463.37063
            Technische Universitaet Dresden email : andreas.groh@...
            D-01062 Dresden, Germany web : tpg.geo.tu-dresden.de

          • Marcin Szamotulski
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 13, 2012
              On 15:30 Thu 13 Dec , Andreas Groh wrote:
              > > Hi,
              > > I don't know the answer of precisely what you are looking for, but
              > > isn't using key maps a good solution? You could map "a etc. to the
              > > corresponding true umlauts, so that you would not need a German
              > > (physical) keyboard to enter them. This also has the additional advantage
              > > of making the TeX source more readable. Also, searching within Vim is
              > > a bit easier. You can make a couple of definitions in your vimrc, or you
              > > can use a separate keymap file.
              > >

              > Hi,
              >
              > Thanks for your reply. Of course, key mappings are a workaround. I
              > included two functions to my .vimrc which can replace all umlauts in the
              > document by the Latex style equivalent and vice versa.
              >
              > But I was wondering if the spell checker could do his job without these
              > workarounds.
              >
              > Best regards.
              >
              > Andreas

              > Andreas Groh phone : +49-351-463.34974
              > Institut fuer Planetare Geodaesie fax : +49-351-463.37063
              > Technische Universitaet Dresden email : andreas.groh@...
              > D-01062 Dresden, Germany web : tpg.geo.tu-dresden.de

              I am not sure if that will help, but at least you may try. You can
              change the isk setting (:help isk). To do that in a tex file, assuming
              that you use the standard syntax file, you should change the value of
              g:tex_isk in your vimrc file. Changing isk directly will not help.

              Best,
              Marcin

            • Erik Christiansen
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 13, 2012
                On 13.12.12 15:30, Andreas Groh wrote:
                > Of course, key mappings are a workaround. I included two functions to
                > my .vimrc which can replace all umlauts in the document by the Latex
                > style equivalent and vice versa.

                In concordance with several other posters, I have to point out that the
                1978-ish '"a' gumpf is an ugly work-around, both in appearance and the
                trouble it is causing. To move into the current millennium, and allow
                your tools to natively handle the text, is the real fix.

                The Alt key is very convenient for input of e.g. ä, ü, ö, and it takes
                only a moment to make the mappings. (The fact that you speak of '"a'
                suggests you're not using a German keyboard.) Their use quickly becomes
                automatic, speeding entry of the subsequently readable input.

                Erik

                --
                Patient: "Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I do this."
                Doctor: "So, stop doing do it."

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 13, 2012
                  On 14/12/12 04:35, Erik Christiansen wrote:
                  > On 13.12.12 15:30, Andreas Groh wrote:
                  >> Of course, key mappings are a workaround. I included two functions to
                  >> my .vimrc which can replace all umlauts in the document by the Latex
                  >> style equivalent and vice versa.
                  >
                  > In concordance with several other posters, I have to point out that the
                  > 1978-ish '"a' gumpf is an ugly work-around, both in appearance and the
                  > trouble it is causing. To move into the current millennium, and allow
                  > your tools to natively handle the text, is the real fix.
                  >
                  > The Alt key is very convenient for input of e.g. ä, ü, ö, and it takes
                  > only a moment to make the mappings. (The fact that you speak of '"a'
                  > suggests you're not using a German keyboard.) Their use quickly becomes
                  > automatic, speeding entry of the subsequently readable input.
                  >
                  > Erik

                  Which Alt- or AltGr-key combinations to use depends of course on your OS
                  and locale: see for instance
                  http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/other/keybbe.htm for a Belgian
                  keyboard on Linux; but regardless of your national keyboard layout you
                  can use the "accents" keymap distributed with Vim (as
                  $VIMRUNTIME/keymap/accents.vim where :a gives ä, :o gives ö, etc.), or
                  you can use digraphs (where Ctrl-K a : (without spaces) gives ä, Ctrl-K
                  o : gives ö, etc. (see ":help digraphs-use" and ":help
                  digraphs-default"). Or you can even construct your own keymap to get ä
                  by typing "a, ö by typing "o, etc., see
                  http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_make_a_keymap

                  Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.
                  -- Oscar Wilde

                • Andreas Groh
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 14, 2012
                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > I am not sure if that will help, but at least you may try. You can
                    > change the isk setting (:help isk). To do that in a tex file, assuming
                    > that you use the standard syntax file, you should change the value of
                    > g:tex_isk in your vimrc file. Changing isk directly will not help.
                    >
                    > Best,
                    > Marcin

                    Hello Marcin,

                    Thanks for the hint. I add the double quotes to the tex_isk variable. In
                    this way it is recognised as part of the word and commands like b, w, *
                    work on the whole word. But unfortunately the spell checker doesn't care
                    about it.
                    However, thanks for trying to provide a solution for the problem I
                    described.

                    Best regards.

                    Andreas