Error message in Sessions plugin

  • Eric Weir
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 13, 2012

      Every so often when I attempt to close a session before quitting Vim I get the following message:

      Error detected while processing function xolox#session#close_cmd:
      line   11:
      E37: No write since last change (add ! to override)

      My guess is it means that there's a file open that has not been saved since the last change, though I'm not certain that is always the case when I get this message. My session usually has five files open. Since the message doesn't specify the file---strange for Sessions, I would think---I've tried going through and saving all the files. That's a bit of a nuisance, and I'm not certain it always works. And adding "!" for the override does not to work consistently for me.

      Perhaps if I were more methodical in checking out the possibilities I would eventually figure out why this is happening and what I need to do when it does, but I imagine there's someone here who can explain it to me straight out.

      Thanks,
      Eric Weir
      Decatur, GA  USA

      "Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it.
      Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. "

      - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

    • Christian Brabandt
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 14, 2012
        Hi Eric!

        On Do, 13 Dez 2012, Eric Weir wrote:

        > Error detected while processing function xolox#session#close_cmd:
        > line 11:
        > E37: No write since last change (add ! to override)
        >
        > My guess is it means that there's a file open that has not been saved since the last change, though I'm not certain that is always the case when I get this message. My session usually has five files open. Since the message doesn't specify the file---strange for Sessions, I would think---I've tried going through and saving all the files. That's a bit of a nuisance, and I'm not certain it always works. And adding "!" for the override does not to work consistently for me.

        Here is a tip, you can always get help on an error code, e.g. :h E37

        And to make sure, all buffers are written, you can use
        :bufdo :w

        regards,
        Christian
        --
        Lache, und die Welt lacht mit Dir.
        Schnarche und Du schläfst allein.

      • Eric Weir
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 14, 2012
          On Dec 14, 2012, at 2:37 PM, Christian Brabandt wrote:

          > Here is a tip, you can always get help on an error code, e.g. :h E37
          >
          > And to make sure, all buffers are written, you can use
          > :bufdo :w

          Thanks very much, Christian. I have become very comfortable with Vim, even fond of it, but as is apparent I'm no techie. Very grateful for the generosity and kindness of this group.

          Sincerely,
          Eric Weir
          Decatur, GA
          eeweir@...

          "A man should be in the world as though he were not in it
          so that it will be no worse because of his life."

          - Wendell Berry