Re: Autowrapping in Txt files

  • Gary Johnson
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 12, 2012
      On 2012-12-12, Ven Tadipatri wrote:
      > Hi,
      > I set the tw option to 80, but it seems like the auto wrapping only works
      > in a new vi buffer. When I try to open a txt file and set the tw, it does not
      > automatically wrap. How do I get the autowrapping functionality to work with
      > any file type?

      There are two common meanings for the word "wrap" in this context.
      One refers to how a long line of text, with only one end-of-line
      sequence (LF or CR/LF) at the end, will be displayed when it is too
      long to fit on a single line of the screen. The other refers to the
      insertion of end-of-line sequences into text so that the number of
      characters between pairs of end-of-line sequences (i.e., the line
      length) is limited.

      In the first case, Vim wraps long lines only at the right window
      boundary. How it wraps is controlled primarily by the 'wrap',
      'linebreak' and 'breakat' options. The 'tw' option has no effect on
      this.

      In the second case, the 'tw' option controls when Vim will insert a
      newline (the end-of-line sequence used internally) as text is typed
      or reformatted using the gq command. Vim does not automatically
      reflow or reformat text when you open a file, nor does it
      automatically reflow or reformat text when you change an option
      such as 'tw'. If you want some lines of text to be limited to a
      width of 'tw' or less, you need to reformat them with the gq
      command.

      This is explained more fully at

      :help usr_25.txt

      HTH,
      Gary

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 12, 2012
        On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:07:05 AM UTC-6, Gary Johnson wrote:

        > In the second case, the 'tw' option controls when Vim will insert a
        >
        > newline (the end-of-line sequence used internally) as text is typed
        >
        > or reformatted using the gq command. Vim does not automatically
        >
        > reflow or reformat text when you open a file, nor does it
        >
        > automatically reflow or reformat text when you change an option
        >
        > such as 'tw'. If you want some lines of text to be limited to a
        >
        > width of 'tw' or less, you need to reformat them with the gq
        >
        > command.

        But it can reformat as you type. See :help 'formatoptions'.