restore

  • shawn wilson
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 11, 2012
      if i haven't saved the session, is there a way to get vim to restore
      back to the way it was (before a system crash?) if not is there a
      setting to get it to autosave session info?

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 11, 2012
        On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 1:22:30 PM UTC-6, shawn wilson wrote:
        > if i haven't saved the session, is there a way to get vim to restore
        >
        > back to the way it was (before a system crash?)

        No. At least, you can't recover the window/tab page/buffer layout. But, you can recover changes to the files you were editing, as long as you have kept swap files enabled.

        > if not is there a
        > setting to get it to autosave session info?

        Not a very good way, since the info in a session file could change at any time during Vim execution. You could set up a CursorHold autocmd to call :mksession I suppose. You could even add other events like BufWinEnter to try to make changes as needed. Normally this is done on VimLeave instead, which won't help you in the case of a system crash. For example:

        http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Go_away_and_come_back
        http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Very_basic_session_persistence