vim insert mode injection

  • ping
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 10, 2012
      I'm looking at a handy way to insert curr timestamp when writing, right in
      insert mode , e.g. in following texts I want it injected right after
      "today", and continue my writing
      [writing in insert mode]
      ...the task was finally done today

      so I think this should work:
      * C-R
      * =
      * strftime('%c')
      * enter
      * p

      but right after I hit enter , I end up with:

      =strftime('%c')
      E15: Invalid expression: strftime('%c')^\e<SNR>113_WrapCmdLine()
      Press ENTER or type command to continue

      it looks like sth wrong with one of the function defined in some script.

      I tried this to locate the function:
      :verbose function <SNR>113_WrapCmdLine()

      it hanging there without a return , so I have to C-c to interupt the
      search.

      anyone can help ?

      thanks!

    • Marcin Szamotulski
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 10, 2012
        On 16:23 Mon 10 Dec , ping wrote:
        > I'm looking at a handy way to insert curr timestamp when writing, right in
        > insert mode , e.g. in following texts I want it injected right after
        > "today", and continue my writing
        > [writing in insert mode]
        > ...the task was finally done today
        >
        > so I think this should work:
        > * C-R
        > * =
        > * strftime('%c')
        > * enter
        > * p
        >
        > but right after I hit enter , I end up with:
        >
        > =strftime('%c')
        > E15: Invalid expression: strftime('%c')^\e<SNR>113_WrapCmdLine()
        > Press ENTER or type command to continue
        >
        > it looks like sth wrong with one of the function defined in some script.
        >
        > I tried this to locate the function:
        > :verbose function <SNR>113_WrapCmdLine()
        >
        > it hanging there without a return , so I have to C-c to interupt the
        > search.
        >
        > anyone can help ?
        >
        > thanks!

        It seems you are using my plugin :). If you update vim to at least 7.3.686
        (this is documented in the plugin).

        Best,
        Marcin

      • John Beckett
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 10, 2012
          ping wrote:
          > I'm looking at a handy way to insert curr timestamp when
          > writing, right in insert mode

          The tip for that is:
          http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Insert_current_date_or_time

          > E15: Invalid expression: strftime('%c')^\e<SNR>113_WrapCmdLine()

          Don't know about that, but enter the following to find script
          113 (too many scripts!):

          :scriptnames

          John

        • John Little
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 10, 2012
            On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 10:23:46 AM UTC+13, ping wrote:
            > but right after I hit enter , I end up with:
            > =strftime('%c')
            >
            > E15: Invalid expression: strftime('%c')^\e<SNR>113_WrapCmdLine()
            > Press ENTER or type command to continue

            You have a command-mode mapping of <cr>. To find out where the mapping is coming from, run :scriptnames and see which is 113.
            Try pressing <esc> instead of <cr>, maybe it's not mapped.

            Regards, John Little

          • ping
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 10, 2012
              On 12/10/2012 7:21 PM, Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
              > It seems you are using my plugin:). If you update vim to at least 7.3.686
              > (this is documented in the plugin).

              oh yes this one "system.vim" of yours looks the culprit ...
              so looks I have to disable it in my usage case?

              28 " Benefits: you get completion for system commanads and system files.
              29 " Copyright: © Marcin Szamotulski, 2012
              30
              31 " I learned how to do that reading the emacscommandline plugin.
              32 "
              33 " Other plugins with shell like functionality:
              34 " vim-addon-async by Marc Weber:
              https://github.com/MarcWeber/vim-addon-async
              35 " Conque Shell plugin: http://code.google.com/p/conque
              36 " vimproc plugin:
              http://github.com/Shougo/vimproc/tree/master/doc/vimproc.txt
              37 "
              38 " Happy viming,
              39 " Marcin Szamotulski
              40
              41 if !exists("g:system_expand")
              42 let g:system_expand = 1
              43 " If 1 expand % as in the command line.
              44 endif
              45 if !exists("g:system_echocmd")
              46 let g:system_echocmd = 1
              47 endif
              48
              49 fun! <SID>WrapCmdLine() <-----------
              50 let cmdline = getcmdline()
              51 " Add cmdline to history
              52 if cmdline[0:1] == "! "
              53 let cmd = cmdline[2:]
              54 call histadd(":", cmdline)
              55 if g:system_expand
              56 let cmd_split = split(cmd, '\ze\\\@<!%')
              57 let cmd = ""
              58 for hunk in cmd_split
              59 if hunk[0] == '%'
              60 let m = matchstr(hunk,
              '^%\%(:[p8~.htre]\|:g\=s?[^?]*?[^?]*?\)*')
              61 let exp = expand(m)
              62 let cmd .=exp.hunk[len(m):]
              63 else
              64 let cmd .=hunk
              65 endif
              66 endfor
              67 endif
              68 let cmd = escape(cmd, "\"")
              69 let his = "|call histdel(':', -1)"
              70 if g:system_echocmd
              71 return "echo \"".cmd."\n\".system(\"".cmd."\")".his
              72 else
              73 return "echo system(\"".cmd."\")".his
              74 endif
              75 endif
              76 return cmdline
              77 endfun
              78 cnoremap <silent> <CR> <C-\>e<SID>WrapCmdLine()<CR><CR>
              .vim/plugin/system.vim [utf-8] [vim] [78/78,1] [100%]

            • Christian Brabandt
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 10, 2012
                On Tue, December 11, 2012 01:21, Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
                > On 16:23 Mon 10 Dec , ping wrote:
                >> I'm looking at a handy way to insert curr timestamp when writing, right
                >> in
                >> insert mode , e.g. in following texts I want it injected right after
                >> "today", and continue my writing
                >> [writing in insert mode]
                >> ...the task was finally done today
                >>
                >> so I think this should work:
                >> * C-R
                >> * =
                >> * strftime('%c')
                >> * enter
                >> * p
                >>
                >> but right after I hit enter , I end up with:
                >>
                >> =strftime('%c')
                >> E15: Invalid expression: strftime('%c')^\e<SNR>113_WrapCmdLine()
                >> Press ENTER or type command to continue
                >>
                >> it looks like sth wrong with one of the function defined in some script.
                >>
                >> I tried this to locate the function:
                >> :verbose function <SNR>113_WrapCmdLine()
                >>
                >> it hanging there without a return , so I have to C-c to interupt the
                >> search.
                >>
                >> anyone can help ?
                >>
                >> thanks!

                I have noticed this too, when playing with your plugin and using
                :debug (I had to kill vim to get out of that loop even when using
                the lastest Vim version)

                regards,
                Christian

              • Marcin Szamotulski
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 11, 2012
                  On 08:07 Tue 11 Dec , Christian Brabandt wrote:
                  > On Tue, December 11, 2012 01:21, Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
                  > > On 16:23 Mon 10 Dec , ping wrote:
                  > >> I'm looking at a handy way to insert curr timestamp when writing, right
                  > >> in
                  > >> insert mode , e.g. in following texts I want it injected right after
                  > >> "today", and continue my writing
                  > >> [writing in insert mode]
                  > >> ...the task was finally done today
                  > >>
                  > >> so I think this should work:
                  > >> * C-R
                  > >> * =
                  > >> * strftime('%c')
                  > >> * enter
                  > >> * p
                  > >>
                  > >> but right after I hit enter , I end up with:
                  > >>
                  > >> =strftime('%c')
                  > >> E15: Invalid expression: strftime('%c')^\e<SNR>113_WrapCmdLine()
                  > >> Press ENTER or type command to continue
                  > >>
                  > >> it looks like sth wrong with one of the function defined in some script.
                  > >>
                  > >> I tried this to locate the function:
                  > >> :verbose function <SNR>113_WrapCmdLine()
                  > >>
                  > >> it hanging there without a return , so I have to C-c to interupt the
                  > >> search.
                  > >>
                  > >> anyone can help ?
                  > >>
                  > >> thanks!
                  >
                  > I have noticed this too, when playing with your plugin and using
                  > :debug (I had to kill vim to get out of that loop even when using
                  > the lastest Vim version)
                  >
                  > regards,
                  > Christian

                  Indeed. So when I debug scripts I use ":cunmap <CR>".

                  Best,
                  Marcin