What is "vi:set ts=8 sts=4 sw=4:" at the top of a file for?

  • Peng Yu
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 10, 2012

      In vim's source src/spell.c, I see "vi:set ts=8 sts=4 sw=4:". I'm
      wondering what it is used for. Shall vim recognize it to reconfigure
      vim while opening this file? Or it is merely for bookkeeping purpose?

      Regards,
      Peng

    • Charles Campbell
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 10, 2012
        Peng Yu wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > In vim's source src/spell.c, I see "vi:set ts=8 sts=4 sw=4:". I'm
        > wondering what it is used for. Shall vim recognize it to reconfigure
        > vim while opening this file? Or it is merely for bookkeeping purpose?

        :he modelines

        Regards,
        C Campbell

      • Kevin O'Gorman
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 10, 2012
          Those are modelines.
          Charles is suggesting you look up the help with the
          :help modelines
          command

          Short form: you're right, vim recognizes them as commands if they're
          near enough to the top or bottom of the file.

          On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 7:27 AM, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > In vim's source src/spell.c, I see "vi:set ts=8 sts=4 sw=4:". I'm
          > wondering what it is used for. Shall vim recognize it to reconfigure
          > vim while opening this file? Or it is merely for bookkeeping purpose?
          >
          > Regards,
          > Peng

          Kevin O'Gorman