Re: Vim Accidental Encryption - Am I SOL?

  • shawn wilson
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 9, 2012
      On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 7:42 AM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:

      > Possibly you can write a script, that feeds various combinations to vim
      > and checks, whether the file got decrypted. That sounds like a fun
      > exercise.

      Don't write a script to do this. Don't use vim to test the crypt. I
      had a brief thought about writing a simple c program but here's the
      thing, If you can download a program that goes through x passwords per
      second and your program goes through x-100 passwords per second, and
      you're looking at a length of only 4 with ~96 keyboard keys, you're
      looking at 4^96 possibilities. So do the math for the difference that
      can make. If an optimized script does 1 million per second and your
      does 999,999,000 per second - and that's .000001% of a difference in
      algorithm - you're liable to be much worse.

      So basically, figure out the algorithm, find a program that brute
      forces it (preferably utilizing your GPU), make a test file with vim,
      encrypt it with some short non-word phrase (say "q9") and run the
      cracker on that. If it works - should take a few seconds, you'll know
      you're good to run it on your actual file (or a backup of it). Run it
      and walk away.

    • donothing successfully
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 14, 2012
        On 10 December 2012 02:42, shawn wilson <ag4ve.us@...> wrote:
        > On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 7:42 AM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Possibly you can write a script, that feeds various combinations to vim
        >> and checks, whether the file got decrypted. That sounds like a fun
        >> exercise.
        >>

        > Don't write a script to do this. Don't use vim to test the crypt. I
        > had a brief thought about writing a simple c program but here's the
        > thing, If you can download a program that goes through x passwords per
        > second and your program goes through x-100 passwords per second, and
        > you're looking at a length of only 4 with ~96 keyboard keys, you're
        > looking at 4^96 possibilities. So do the math for the difference that
        > can make. If an optimized script does 1 million per second and your
        > does 999,999,000 per second - and that's .000001% of a difference in
        > algorithm - you're liable to be much worse.

        Is it not 96^4 possibilities? A much smaller number: ~85 million.
        A quicker and dirtier approach might suffice.

        Or you could try to socially engineer yourself, a tired vimmer might have the
        capslock on and type ':X' instead of ':x' and not notice the prompts,
        so it might
        be worth trying ':X', ':x' or similar.

      • shawn wilson
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 14, 2012
          On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 9:32 AM, donothing successfully
          <donothingsuccessfully@...> wrote:

          > Is it not 96^4 possibilities? A much smaller number: ~85 million.
          > A quicker and dirtier approach might suffice.

          God, that's not the first time I've messed up basic algebra. I've got
          to do better about that. You're right of course - base is
          possibilities, exponent is length. The easy way of checking this is
          abc length of 2: aa, ab, ac, ba, bb, bc, ca, cb, cc = 9 or 3^2.

          > Or you could try to socially engineer yourself, a tired vimmer might have the
          > capslock on and type ':X' instead of ':x' and not notice the prompts,
          > so it might
          > be worth trying ':X', ':x' or similar.

          Modern hardware and brute force would have two symbols done in less
          than a second. If this is what the password, just start by brute
          forcing it and if it doesn't find anything after a minute or so, go to
          a dictionary (or rainbow table if there's a common hashing algorithm).
          And I feel I'm heading into OT territory for this list here :)

          I would like to hear the outcome of the OP's file (or process) though?

        • donothing successfully
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 14, 2012
            On 14 December 2012 15:12, shawn wilson <ag4ve.us@...> wrote:
            > On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 9:32 AM, donothing successfully
            > <donothingsuccessfully@...> wrote:
            >

            >> Is it not 96^4 possibilities? A much smaller number: ~85 million.
            >>

            > God, that's not the first time I've messed up basic algebra. […]

            Intermediate combinatorics at least.

            >> Or you could try to socially engineer yourself, […] so it might
            >> be worth trying ':X', ':x' or similar.
            >>

            > Modern hardware and brute force would have two symbols done in less
            > than a second.

            If there's an off-the-shelf cracker then that may be faster but a few guesses
            couldn't do any harm.

          • Erich Hoffmann
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 19, 2012
              Am Sun, 9 Dec 2012 17:30:20 +0100
              schrieb Erich Hoffmann <erichhoffmann@...>:

              > 你们好,

              [...]
              > 好吧,有不有个vimim人可以帮助我用vimim?
              > 谢谢!
              [...]
              > OK are there vimim guys out there willing to help me using vimmim?
              > Thanks in advance,
              >
              > eric

              Hello helpers. Thank you for your replies. It took me some time to
              delve into the topics, and I saw there is even more, like scim...I got
              the impression there is no way but just try every method for some time
              and see which is best *for me* - perhaps I'll have to take the data
              files and write some extra. Anyway thanks a lot!

              eric

            • ping

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 19, 2012
                  There's another choice: use fcitx with vim plugin fcitx-status

                  --

                  胡淼
                  Sun Yat-sen University