Re: vimim chinese input

  • ping
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 9, 2012
      On 12/9/2012 11:30 AM, Erich Hoffmann wrote:
      > 你们好,
      >
      > 我学习汉语了,但是我的汉语还不太好。我想写汉字用vimim。
      > 朋友们,你们的documentation到我太复杂了!
      > 当然,这是我的错。
      > 好吧,有不有个vimim人可以帮助我用vimim?
      > 谢谢!
      >
      > 英旭
      >
      > Hello,
      > I started to learn chinese, but my chinese still isn't that great.
      > I'd like to write chinese chars using vimim。
      > Friends, your documentation is beyond me!
      > This is my fault, of course。
      > OK are there vimim guys out there willing to help me using vimmim?
      > Thanks in advance,
      >
      > eric
      >
      > ps.
      >
      > Excuse my bad chinese. But people like me just trying to learn badly
      > need a good input method. If I really learn to use vimim, perhaps
      > some day I'll be able to write a german or english user documentation.

      vimim is the best chinese input method in vim.
      the cool/unique feature is, that you can ssh into a remote host that has
      vimim installed, and start input chinese, even if you don't have any
      chinese input method installed in your local PC...

    • shawn wilson
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 9, 2012
        On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 7:42 AM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:

        > Possibly you can write a script, that feeds various combinations to vim
        > and checks, whether the file got decrypted. That sounds like a fun
        > exercise.

        Don't write a script to do this. Don't use vim to test the crypt. I
        had a brief thought about writing a simple c program but here's the
        thing, If you can download a program that goes through x passwords per
        second and your program goes through x-100 passwords per second, and
        you're looking at a length of only 4 with ~96 keyboard keys, you're
        looking at 4^96 possibilities. So do the math for the difference that
        can make. If an optimized script does 1 million per second and your
        does 999,999,000 per second - and that's .000001% of a difference in
        algorithm - you're liable to be much worse.

        So basically, figure out the algorithm, find a program that brute
        forces it (preferably utilizing your GPU), make a test file with vim,
        encrypt it with some short non-word phrase (say "q9") and run the
        cracker on that. If it works - should take a few seconds, you'll know
        you're good to run it on your actual file (or a backup of it). Run it
        and walk away.

      • donothing successfully
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 14, 2012
          On 10 December 2012 02:42, shawn wilson <ag4ve.us@...> wrote:
          > On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 7:42 AM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Possibly you can write a script, that feeds various combinations to vim
          >> and checks, whether the file got decrypted. That sounds like a fun
          >> exercise.
          >>

          > Don't write a script to do this. Don't use vim to test the crypt. I
          > had a brief thought about writing a simple c program but here's the
          > thing, If you can download a program that goes through x passwords per
          > second and your program goes through x-100 passwords per second, and
          > you're looking at a length of only 4 with ~96 keyboard keys, you're
          > looking at 4^96 possibilities. So do the math for the difference that
          > can make. If an optimized script does 1 million per second and your
          > does 999,999,000 per second - and that's .000001% of a difference in
          > algorithm - you're liable to be much worse.

          Is it not 96^4 possibilities? A much smaller number: ~85 million.
          A quicker and dirtier approach might suffice.

          Or you could try to socially engineer yourself, a tired vimmer might have the
          capslock on and type ':X' instead of ':x' and not notice the prompts,
          so it might
          be worth trying ':X', ':x' or similar.

        • shawn wilson
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 14, 2012
            On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 9:32 AM, donothing successfully
            <donothingsuccessfully@...> wrote:

            > Is it not 96^4 possibilities? A much smaller number: ~85 million.
            > A quicker and dirtier approach might suffice.

            God, that's not the first time I've messed up basic algebra. I've got
            to do better about that. You're right of course - base is
            possibilities, exponent is length. The easy way of checking this is
            abc length of 2: aa, ab, ac, ba, bb, bc, ca, cb, cc = 9 or 3^2.

            > Or you could try to socially engineer yourself, a tired vimmer might have the
            > capslock on and type ':X' instead of ':x' and not notice the prompts,
            > so it might
            > be worth trying ':X', ':x' or similar.

            Modern hardware and brute force would have two symbols done in less
            than a second. If this is what the password, just start by brute
            forcing it and if it doesn't find anything after a minute or so, go to
            a dictionary (or rainbow table if there's a common hashing algorithm).
            And I feel I'm heading into OT territory for this list here :)

            I would like to hear the outcome of the OP's file (or process) though?

          • donothing successfully
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 14, 2012
              On 14 December 2012 15:12, shawn wilson <ag4ve.us@...> wrote:
              > On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 9:32 AM, donothing successfully
              > <donothingsuccessfully@...> wrote:
              >

              >> Is it not 96^4 possibilities? A much smaller number: ~85 million.
              >>

              > God, that's not the first time I've messed up basic algebra. […]

              Intermediate combinatorics at least.

              >> Or you could try to socially engineer yourself, […] so it might
              >> be worth trying ':X', ':x' or similar.
              >>

              > Modern hardware and brute force would have two symbols done in less
              > than a second.

              If there's an off-the-shelf cracker then that may be faster but a few guesses
              couldn't do any harm.

            • Erich Hoffmann
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 19, 2012
                Am Sun, 9 Dec 2012 17:30:20 +0100
                schrieb Erich Hoffmann <erichhoffmann@...>:

                > 你们好,

                [...]
                > 好吧,有不有个vimim人可以帮助我用vimim?
                > 谢谢!
                [...]
                > OK are there vimim guys out there willing to help me using vimmim?
                > Thanks in advance,
                >
                > eric

                Hello helpers. Thank you for your replies. It took me some time to
                delve into the topics, and I saw there is even more, like scim...I got
                the impression there is no way but just try every method for some time
                and see which is best *for me* - perhaps I'll have to take the data
                files and write some extra. Anyway thanks a lot!

                eric

              • ping

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 19, 2012
                    There's another choice: use fcitx with vim plugin fcitx-status

                    --

                    胡淼
                    Sun Yat-sen University