Re: Making sure splits are a decent size when a new one is opened

  • Tim Chase
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 9, 2012
      On 12/09/12 08:41, Some Developer wrote:
      > Is it possible to set the default size of a split when it is opened? I
      > use the Vim man page plug-in that allows you to use <Leader>+K to open
      > the man page for the word under the cursor but it opens in a split that
      > is tiny and also resizes any other open splits which means I need to
      > resize them every time I try and open a man page.
      >
      > It would be nice if I could make the size of the man page split a
      > certain size and then scale the other open splits accordingly.
      > Unfortunately I have no idea if this is possible.

      It sounds like you want to mess with the following options:

      :help 'winminwidth'
      :h 'winminheight'
      :h 'winwidth'
      :h 'winheight'

      which can be done on a vim-wide basis, or you can use an :autocmd to
      set them for particular buffer-types when they're opened.

      -tim

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 9, 2012
        On 09/12/12 20:23, Tim Chase wrote:
        > On 12/09/12 08:41, Some Developer wrote:
        >> Is it possible to set the default size of a split when it is opened? I
        >> use the Vim man page plug-in that allows you to use <Leader>+K to open
        >> the man page for the word under the cursor but it opens in a split that
        >> is tiny and also resizes any other open splits which means I need to
        >> resize them every time I try and open a man page.
        >>
        >> It would be nice if I could make the size of the man page split a
        >> certain size and then scale the other open splits accordingly.
        >> Unfortunately I have no idea if this is possible.
        >
        > It sounds like you want to mess with the following options:
        >
        > :help 'winminwidth'
        > :h 'winminheight'
        > :h 'winwidth'
        > :h 'winheight'
        >
        > which can be done on a vim-wide basis, or you can use an :autocmd to
        > set them for particular buffer-types when they're opened.
        >
        > -tim

        Yes, and the following are also relevant:

        :help 'equalalways'
        (boolean) to make split-windows as close to equal as possible

        :help 'eadirection'
        (string) to decide whether 'equalalways' applies to horizontal splits,
        vertical splits, or both.

        A reactionary is a man whose political opinions always manage to keep
        up with yesterday.

      • Some Developer
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 15, 2012
          On 09/12/12 21:29, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
          > On 09/12/12 20:23, Tim Chase wrote:
          >> On 12/09/12 08:41, Some Developer wrote:
          >>> Is it possible to set the default size of a split when it is opened? I
          >>> use the Vim man page plug-in that allows you to use <Leader>+K to open
          >>> the man page for the word under the cursor but it opens in a split that
          >>> is tiny and also resizes any other open splits which means I need to
          >>> resize them every time I try and open a man page.
          >>>
          >>> It would be nice if I could make the size of the man page split a
          >>> certain size and then scale the other open splits accordingly.
          >>> Unfortunately I have no idea if this is possible.
          >>
          >> It sounds like you want to mess with the following options:
          >>
          >> :help 'winminwidth'
          >> :h 'winminheight'
          >> :h 'winwidth'
          >> :h 'winheight'
          >>
          >> which can be done on a vim-wide basis, or you can use an :autocmd to
          >> set them for particular buffer-types when they're opened.
          >>
          >> -tim
          >>

          > Yes, and the following are also relevant:
          >
          > :help 'equalalways'
          > (boolean) to make split-windows as close to equal as possible
          >
          > :help 'eadirection'
          > (string) to decide whether 'equalalways' applies to horizontal splits,
          > vertical splits, or both.
          >

          > Best regards,
          > Tony.

          I'm pretty new to Vim so I'm having a couple of issues with this. I'm
          not entirely sure how to find out the type of a buffer. For instance I
          have the clang complete plug-in installed which opens a quick fix window
          when it detects an error is any C or C++ code. I'd like to set the
          minimum height for this buffer but I don't know how to find out how to
          reference that particular buffer and only that buffer.

          The options that you have both listed above are exactly what I am after
          it is just the bit of a problem when using :autocmd.

          Sorry for the newbie question but I've done very little in the way of
          Vim scripting so I'm at a loss. Are there any helpful resources for this
          kind of information?