Vim Accidental Encryption - Am I SOL?

  • bruceleeroy
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 8, 2012
      Somehow on exiting Vim I managed to set a password with Encryption On resulting in this:
      http://i.minus.com/i0EtLG3ZGp0H7.jpg

      Outside of somehow remember what I hit when exiting the program I am screwed huh?

    • Christian Brabandt
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 9, 2012
        Hi bruceleeroy!

        On Sa, 08 Dez 2012, bruceleeroy wrote:

        > Somehow on exiting Vim I managed to set a password with Encryption On resulting in this:
        > http://i.minus.com/i0EtLG3ZGp0H7.jpg
        >
        > Outside of somehow remember what I hit when exiting the program I am screwed huh?

        Well, good news is, you accidentally used the old now deprecated crypt
        method, which is breakable. But I have no clue, how to do this. The help
        says about it:

        ,----
        | - The algorithm used is breakable. A 4 character key in about one hour,
        | a 6 character key in one day (on a Pentium 133 PC). This requires
        | that you know some text that must appear in the file. An expert can
        | break it for any key. When the text has been decrypted, this also
        | means that the key can be revealed, and other files encrypted with the
        | same key can be decrypted.
        `----

        Possibly you can write a script, that feeds various combinations to vim
        and checks, whether the file got decrypted. That sounds like a fun
        exercise.

        See also this question on Stackoverflow:
        http://stackoverflow.com/questions/575817/vim-encryption-how-to-break-it

        regards,
        Christian
        --
        Was darf ich für sie bestellen?
        Haben sie Schildkrötensuppe?

      • Bram Moolenaar
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 9, 2012
          Bruce Leeroy wrote:

          > Somehow on exiting Vim I managed to set a password with Encryption On
          > resulting in this:
          > http://i.minus.com/i0EtLG3ZGp0H7.jpg
          >
          > Outside of somehow remember what I hit when exiting the program I am
          > screwed huh?

          Your best bet is to find a backup file. If you don't use backup files
          an undelete program might help find the deleted temp file. But if you
          did further work on the partition it might already be lost.
          There might also be a deleted swap file that you can recover from.

          If you have persistent undo enabled you can get bits of text from the
          undo file.

          Otherwise, guessing the password is difficult.

          --
          A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
          Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

        • shawn wilson
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 9, 2012
            On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 8:24 AM, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:

            > Bruce Leeroy wrote:
            >
            >> Somehow on exiting Vim I managed to set a password with Encryption On
            >> resulting in this:
            >> http://i.minus.com/i0EtLG3ZGp0H7.jpg
            >>
            >> Outside of somehow remember what I hit when exiting the program I am
            >> screwed huh?

            well, if your password is <8 characters, you should be able to break
            it in a week or so (or look at amazon or other external sources). 9
            characters gets to be a little harder. but you're talking brute force
            - this isn't a hash so a rainbow table isn't going to do you any good.
            also, if you use a weak schema, that's good (your brute force will be
            able to go through more passwords per second).

            chances are you're done, but maybe not

            > Your best bet is to find a backup file. If you don't use backup files
            > an undelete program might help find the deleted temp file. But if you
            > did further work on the partition it might already be lost.
            > There might also be a deleted swap file that you can recover from.

            so, according to the below link (or what i extract from skimming it)
            is that the whole buffer is unencrypted in memory. so, if you haven't
            closed the vim session (just the buffer) getting it out of memory
            shouldn't be that hard. if you've closed it, dump your ram to a file
            and search for words (probably egrep [a-zA-Z0-9]* and go through it
            until you find something that looks familiar - better if you know a
            contiguous sentence you had). if it's been a day or maybe even a few
            hours, good luck with this as well. you've probably got multiple gigs
            of ram, so your dump will be multiple gigs - you'll want to limit how
            much of the file vim loads at once. oh, and if you've rebooted,
            discard this paragraph.

            > If you have persistent undo enabled you can get bits of text from the
            > undo file.

            according to this, the undo won't help either (it's encrypted as it should be):
            http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Encryption

          • Erich Hoffmann
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 9, 2012
              你们好,

              我学习汉语了,但是我的汉语还不太好。我想写汉字用vimim。
              朋友们,你们的documentation到我太复杂了!
              当然,这是我的错。
              好吧,有不有个vimim人可以帮助我用vimim?
              谢谢!

              英旭

              Hello,
              I started to learn chinese, but my chinese still isn't that great.
              I'd like to write chinese chars using vimim。
              Friends, your documentation is beyond me!
              This is my fault, of course。
              OK are there vimim guys out there willing to help me using vimmim?
              Thanks in advance,

              eric

              ps.

              Excuse my bad chinese. But people like me just trying to learn badly
              need a good input method. If I really learn to use vimim, perhaps
              some day I'll be able to write a german or english user documentation.

            • Ryan Feng
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 9, 2012
                Hello Eric,

                Here's an English quickstart wiki page on vimim's website, you might want to check it:

                I've used vimim for a while, it's not a very good Chinese input method in my experience, especially the input speed is slow and sometimes it gives you wrong Chinese characters.
                If you don't mind installing a standalone IM, I'd recommend rimeime[1], it has better input speed and a larger character table,
                 it supports both Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.
                It also has a several installers for each platform, you can download them here[2]

                On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Erich Hoffmann <erichhoffmann@...> wrote:
                你们好,

                我学习汉语了,但是我的汉语还不太好。我想写汉字用vimim。
                朋友们,你们的documentation到我太复杂了!
                当然,这是我的错。
                好吧,有不有个vimim人可以帮助我用vimim?
                谢谢!

                英旭

                Hello,
                I started to learn chinese, but my chinese still isn't that great.
                I'd like to write chinese chars using vimim。
                Friends, your documentation is beyond me!
                This is my fault, of course。
                OK are there vimim guys out there willing to help me using vimmim?
                Thanks in advance,

                eric

                ps.

                Excuse my bad chinese.  But people like me just trying to learn badly
                need a good input method.  If I really learn to use vimim, perhaps
                some day I'll be able to write a german or english user documentation.

              • 孔晓泉

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 9, 2012
                    On 12/9/2012 11:30 AM, Erich Hoffmann wrote:
                    > 你们好,
                    >
                    > 我学习汉语了,但是我的汉语还不太好。我想写汉字用vimim。
                    > 朋友们,你们的documentation到我太复杂了!
                    > 当然,这是我的错。
                    > 好吧,有不有个vimim人可以帮助我用vimim?
                    > 谢谢!
                    >
                    > 英旭
                    >
                    > Hello,
                    > I started to learn chinese, but my chinese still isn't that great.
                    > I'd like to write chinese chars using vimim。
                    > Friends, your documentation is beyond me!
                    > This is my fault, of course。
                    > OK are there vimim guys out there willing to help me using vimmim?
                    > Thanks in advance,
                    >
                    > eric
                    >
                    > ps.
                    >
                    > Excuse my bad chinese. But people like me just trying to learn badly
                    > need a good input method. If I really learn to use vimim, perhaps
                    > some day I'll be able to write a german or english user documentation.

                    vimim is the best chinese input method in vim.
                    the cool/unique feature is, that you can ssh into a remote host that has
                    vimim installed, and start input chinese, even if you don't have any
                    chinese input method installed in your local PC...

                  • shawn wilson
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 9, 2012
                      On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 7:42 AM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:

                      > Possibly you can write a script, that feeds various combinations to vim
                      > and checks, whether the file got decrypted. That sounds like a fun
                      > exercise.

                      Don't write a script to do this. Don't use vim to test the crypt. I
                      had a brief thought about writing a simple c program but here's the
                      thing, If you can download a program that goes through x passwords per
                      second and your program goes through x-100 passwords per second, and
                      you're looking at a length of only 4 with ~96 keyboard keys, you're
                      looking at 4^96 possibilities. So do the math for the difference that
                      can make. If an optimized script does 1 million per second and your
                      does 999,999,000 per second - and that's .000001% of a difference in
                      algorithm - you're liable to be much worse.

                      So basically, figure out the algorithm, find a program that brute
                      forces it (preferably utilizing your GPU), make a test file with vim,
                      encrypt it with some short non-word phrase (say "q9") and run the
                      cracker on that. If it works - should take a few seconds, you'll know
                      you're good to run it on your actual file (or a backup of it). Run it
                      and walk away.

                    • donothing successfully
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 14, 2012
                        On 10 December 2012 02:42, shawn wilson <ag4ve.us@...> wrote:
                        > On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 7:42 AM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> Possibly you can write a script, that feeds various combinations to vim
                        >> and checks, whether the file got decrypted. That sounds like a fun
                        >> exercise.
                        >>

                        > Don't write a script to do this. Don't use vim to test the crypt. I
                        > had a brief thought about writing a simple c program but here's the
                        > thing, If you can download a program that goes through x passwords per
                        > second and your program goes through x-100 passwords per second, and
                        > you're looking at a length of only 4 with ~96 keyboard keys, you're
                        > looking at 4^96 possibilities. So do the math for the difference that
                        > can make. If an optimized script does 1 million per second and your
                        > does 999,999,000 per second - and that's .000001% of a difference in
                        > algorithm - you're liable to be much worse.

                        Is it not 96^4 possibilities? A much smaller number: ~85 million.
                        A quicker and dirtier approach might suffice.

                        Or you could try to socially engineer yourself, a tired vimmer might have the
                        capslock on and type ':X' instead of ':x' and not notice the prompts,
                        so it might
                        be worth trying ':X', ':x' or similar.

                      • shawn wilson
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 14, 2012
                          On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 9:32 AM, donothing successfully
                          <donothingsuccessfully@...> wrote:

                          > Is it not 96^4 possibilities? A much smaller number: ~85 million.
                          > A quicker and dirtier approach might suffice.

                          God, that's not the first time I've messed up basic algebra. I've got
                          to do better about that. You're right of course - base is
                          possibilities, exponent is length. The easy way of checking this is
                          abc length of 2: aa, ab, ac, ba, bb, bc, ca, cb, cc = 9 or 3^2.

                          > Or you could try to socially engineer yourself, a tired vimmer might have the
                          > capslock on and type ':X' instead of ':x' and not notice the prompts,
                          > so it might
                          > be worth trying ':X', ':x' or similar.

                          Modern hardware and brute force would have two symbols done in less
                          than a second. If this is what the password, just start by brute
                          forcing it and if it doesn't find anything after a minute or so, go to
                          a dictionary (or rainbow table if there's a common hashing algorithm).
                          And I feel I'm heading into OT territory for this list here :)

                          I would like to hear the outcome of the OP's file (or process) though?

                        • donothing successfully
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 14, 2012
                            On 14 December 2012 15:12, shawn wilson <ag4ve.us@...> wrote:
                            > On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 9:32 AM, donothing successfully
                            > <donothingsuccessfully@...> wrote:
                            >

                            >> Is it not 96^4 possibilities? A much smaller number: ~85 million.
                            >>

                            > God, that's not the first time I've messed up basic algebra. […]

                            Intermediate combinatorics at least.

                            >> Or you could try to socially engineer yourself, […] so it might
                            >> be worth trying ':X', ':x' or similar.
                            >>

                            > Modern hardware and brute force would have two symbols done in less
                            > than a second.

                            If there's an off-the-shelf cracker then that may be faster but a few guesses
                            couldn't do any harm.

                          • Erich Hoffmann
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 19, 2012
                              Am Sun, 9 Dec 2012 17:30:20 +0100
                              schrieb Erich Hoffmann <erichhoffmann@...>:

                              > 你们好,

                              [...]
                              > 好吧,有不有个vimim人可以帮助我用vimim?
                              > 谢谢!
                              [...]
                              > OK are there vimim guys out there willing to help me using vimmim?
                              > Thanks in advance,
                              >
                              > eric

                              Hello helpers. Thank you for your replies. It took me some time to
                              delve into the topics, and I saw there is even more, like scim...I got
                              the impression there is no way but just try every method for some time
                              and see which is best *for me* - perhaps I'll have to take the data
                              files and write some extra. Anyway thanks a lot!

                              eric

                            • ping

                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 19, 2012
                                  There's another choice: use fcitx with vim plugin fcitx-status

                                  On 19 December 2012 23:51, ping <songpingemail@...> wrote:
                                  vimim *IS* the best available in vim. outside of vim, there are a lot of options.

                                  --

                                  胡淼
                                  Sun Yat-sen University