Re: behaviour of d_

  • esquifit
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 8, 2012
      On Saturday, December 8, 2012 1:37:52 PM UTC+1, Christian Brabandt wrote:

      > _ is a linewise motion, so you are deleting the complete line.
      > You should however be able to use the o_v operator to force the motion
      > to be characterwise, however, for some reason, this does not seem to
      > work with d

      Hi Christian,
      Thanks for your reply. It came almost simultaneously with my own and I didn't notice it until now. Thanks also for the hint regarding startofline. I have this option set in my system, therefore I can use dv_ without problems.

      Regards
      e.

    • Christian Brabandt
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 9, 2012
        Hi Bram!

        On Sa, 08 Dez 2012, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > Thanks. It's probably not difficult to add a test for this...

        Yeah, I thought about this, after I sent the mail. Anyways, here is the
        patch including a test.

        regards,
        Christian
        --
        Schöpferische Gemüter haben immer gewußt,
        wie sie jede Art von schlechter Erziehung überleben.

      • Christian Brabandt
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 9, 2012
          On So, 09 Dez 2012, Christian Brabandt wrote:
          > On Sa, 08 Dez 2012, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > > Thanks. It's probably not difficult to add a test for this...
          >
          > Yeah, I thought about this, after I sent the mail. Anyways, here is the
          > patch including a test.

          Sorry, small error in the testfile. Here is the correct patch.

          regards,
          Christian
          --
          Demokratie ist eine Form der Regierung bei der durch die Wahl einer
          inkompetenten Masse eine korrupte Minderheit ernannt wird.

        • Bram Moolenaar
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 9, 2012
            Christian Brabandt wrote:

            > Hi Bram!
            >
            > On Sa, 08 Dez 2012, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            >
            > > Thanks. It's probably not difficult to add a test for this...
            >
            > Yeah, I thought about this, after I sent the mail. Anyways, here is the
            > patch including a test.

            Thanks! I think it's a good habit to add a test if we fix something.
            It might break again.

            --
            I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done.

          • ping
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 9, 2012
              On 12/9/2012 9:44 AM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
              > Christian Brabandt wrote:
              >
              >> Hi Bram!
              >>
              >> On Sa, 08 Dez 2012, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
              >>
              >>> Thanks. It's probably not difficult to add a test for this...
              >> Yeah, I thought about this, after I sent the mail. Anyways, here is the
              >> patch including a test.
              > Thanks! I think it's a good habit to add a test if we fix something.
              > It might break again.

              any, overall, if d_ is same as dd, why bother the complexity? or are
              there any extra value of using d_ that I missed?

            • Christian Brabandt
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 10, 2012
                On Mon, December 10, 2012 01:43, ping wrote:
                > any, overall, if d_ is same as dd, why bother the complexity? or are
                > there any extra value of using d_ that I missed?

                The functionality is there and probably also being demanded by POSIX.
                But in any case, it should work, no matter what some options are set to.

                regards,
                Christian

              • Ben Fritz
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 10, 2012
                  On Sunday, December 9, 2012 6:43:23 PM UTC-6, ping wrote:

                  > any, overall, if d_ is same as dd, why bother the complexity? or are
                  >
                  > there any extra value of using d_ that I missed?

                  There is value in the _ motion, which goes to the first non-blank character in a line. It is like ^, but also takes a count to go to a different line than the current in one motion. It is also easier to reach than ^ on a Dvorak keyboard.

                  There is value in the d command combining with any arbitrary motion command.

                  dd is provided for an easy way to delete one or more entire lines. The fact that this convenience command does the same thing as combining the d command with certain motions is irrelevant to the usefulness of those motions, and also irrelevant to whether the d command should combine with that motion (it should combine with all motions).

                • ping
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 10, 2012

                    On 12/10/2012 10:52 AM, Ben Fritz wrote:
                    > There is value in the _ motion, which goes to the first non-blank character in a line. It is like ^, but also takes a count to go to a different line than the current in one motion. It is also easier to reach than ^ on a Dvorak keyboard.

                    got it better now, thanks!