Re: Full screen writing, a la Omm Writer in vim

  • Christian Brabandt
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 8, 2012
      Hi robslav!

      On Fr, 07 Dez 2012, robslav wrote:

      > I really dig the full screen writing and sound features of Omm Writer,
      > and I was wondering if there was any way to customize vim to do a
      > similar thing. Would this be possible with a vimscript? I don't know
      > much about scripting vim, but I would like to learn more, especially
      > if I could get all the great vim keyboard control in a zen
      > environment.

      I doubt you can do the sound thing or the chromatherapy (which btw I
      would find very disturbing). Here is a link, to make Vim on Windows
      behave like Darkroom, which seems to be similar:

      https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!msg/vim_use/cMBH0abLXGg/OGv9tAgFYB8J

      Saving as pdf isn't directly supported either. You'll need a printer
      driver and print using either Vims :hardcopy command or first convert
      the file to html and print the resulting page to pdf from your browser.

      regards,
      Christian
      --
      Um sich etwas zu erklären, nimmt die große Welt lieber die
      entsetzlichste Sünde als eine gewöhnliche an.

    • David Sanson
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 9, 2012
        If you are just looking to replicate the experience of writeroom and its many clones in vim, poke around on github and you'll find several options. For example:

        https://github.com/dsanson/writer.vim
        https://github.com/honza/writer.vim
        https://github.com/laktek/distraction-free-writing-vim

        No reason you couldn't just play sound in the background, right?

        David