snipmate vs UltiSnips?

  • Marc Weber
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 8, 2012
      Luckily the question is partially gone, because I've done some work on
      making UltiSnips read snipmate files close to the way UltiSnips did.

      You can find all details here, "3) ultisnip"
      https://github.com/honza/snipmate-snippets

      This is a preview and unfinished, but does already work for me.

      The goals are:
      - join both communities
      - get best of both worlds
      - the snipmate engine was/is broken in some minor ways. [1]
      I don't have the time to rewrite it.
      - ...

      drawbacks:
      - UltiSnips depends on python, but that's fine today. Everybody can
      install it.
      - the <tab> completion list menu does not work in UltiSnips yet, but
      list all snippets feature works well enough to not make me work on
      it right now.

      benefits:
      UltiSnip's engine may be less broken. I hit some cases where snipmate
      didn't do what I expected such as expand for, entering 234 and the var
      name was not replaced to j everywhere. I also supports nested snippets
      and has better support for running arbitrary shell code.
      It also can do advanced stuff like centering a headline (bbox)
      (but that feature is currently broken in my branch because I broke the
      !p feature - will fix ASAP)

      [1] You can't quote ${1} properly. Some placeholders work with alpha but
      not with numeric typnig (for, placeholder length).

      There are still some differences. So its a "release early and often"
      announcment for getting some feedback.

      if you find any additional bugs about reading snippets file them against
      my github repository.

      For completness there is also the engine xptemplate - but its snippet
      syntax is very different which is why I did'nt consider it as mergeable
      right now.

      Happy snipping.
      Marc Weber

    • Marc Weber
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 20, 2013
        > You can find all details here, "3) ultisnip"
        > https://github.com/honza/snipmate-snippets

        The branch now supporst completion menu as snipmate does.
        Thus I highly recommend giving that branch a try now.

        There are not much reasons left to keep using snipmate (unless you don't
        have python)

        Marc Weber

      • av
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 21, 2013
          Try simpleSnip.

          On 21 jan, 04:58, Marc Weber <marco-owe...@...> wrote:
          > > You can find all details here, "3) ultisnip"
          > >https://github.com/honza/snipmate-snippets
          >
          > The branch now supporst completion menu as snipmate does.
          > Thus I highly recommend giving that branch a try now.
          >
          > There are not much reasons left to keep using snipmate (unless you don't
          > have python)
          >
          > Marc Weber

        • Marc Weber
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 21, 2013
            Excerpts from av's message of Mon Jan 21 13:30:41 +0100 2013:
            > Try simpleSnip.
            Tell us why the UltiSnip and snipmate community should do it.
            Then we all have a nice overview about the available options.

            I'll tell you why you should consider joining snipmate/ UltiSnip community:

            - UltiSnips is well tested

            - snipmate-snippets is a comprehensive list of snippets which can now be
            used with both: snipmate and UltiSnips

            - both snipmate and UltiSnips reload snippet files automatically based
            on timestamp. No need to remember any "reload" command
            Thus writing a new snippet will be available in all vim instances.

            - both support loading plugins from many files from runtimepath.
            In both cases you can override this behaviour easily

            - both projects have a comprehensive documentation.

            Your first release was 2012-11-17.
            UltiSnips dates back 2009. snipmate is also older.

            If you want to serve the community document why you had to start from
            scratch - so that its easier to judge which tool to use for what reason.
            Vim is not about reinventing the wheel (IMHO).

            But thanks for reminding me that I still have to port the autoindent
            feature to UltiSnips :)

            This mail only reflects my view. Its fine if other people think
            differently.

            Short note about "load snippets from other filetype":
            I think you should map :set ft= or such, because then you also get
            indentation and more support for the filetype you care about at that
            moment. Its a more universal solution.

            Yours
            Marc Weber