Re: calling a function on bufenter,bufnew,bufread

  • David Fishburn
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 7, 2012
      On Dec 7, 2012, at 5:18 PM, Gary Johnson <garyjohn@...> wrote:

      > On 2012-12-07, Chris Lott wrote:

      >>> Some time ago I used vimperator too, and I also had some additional
      >>> settings for it. As far as I recall vimperator has its own file type,
      >>> but I might be wrong. If it has you could use FileType autocommand
      >>> event.
      >>
      >> The filetype is set to text. Using the proposed solution of:
      >>
      >> au BufNewFile,BufEnter,BufRead vimperator.txt call WW()

      You could run:
      :breakadd func *WW

      Once in the function use "s" for step into "n" for next or "c" for continue and see what it is doing.

      --
      David Fishburn

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 8, 2012
        On Friday, December 7, 2012 2:34:02 PM UTC-6, Chris Lott wrote:
        > On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
        >

        > > au BufNewFile,BufEnter,BufRead vimperator.txt call WW()
        >

        > > In the future, or if this doesn't solve your problem, "it isn't working" is not helpful at all
        >

        > Sorry, I will amend it to the complete problem:
        >

        > "the call to the function in the autocommand did nothing." Happy?

        Actually more precise would be even better. For example:

        "After loading vimperator.txt from within Vim using :e vimperator.txt, the options set in the WW() function remain at their previous value. But, after invoking my mapping, the options set in the WW() function are set to the values from the function body."

        Bonus points for using methods to determine whether your function is being called as suggested by Gary and David.

        You mention the VimWriteRoom() function may be interfering. Have you tried moving it to the top of your function, or removing it entirely? You say it's from a plugin. Which one?