Full screen writing, a la Omm Writer in vim

  • robslav
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 7, 2012
      Hey all,

      I really dig the full screen writing and sound features of Omm Writer, and I was wondering if there was any way to customize vim to do a similar thing. Would this be possible with a vimscript? I don't know much about scripting vim, but I would like to learn more, especially if I could get all the great vim keyboard control in a zen environment.

      RS

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 7, 2012
        On Friday, December 7, 2012 11:57:00 AM UTC-6, robslav wrote:
        > Hey all,
        >
        > I really dig the full screen writing and sound features of Omm Writer, and I was wondering if there was any way to customize vim to do a similar thing. Would this be possible with a vimscript? I don't know much about scripting vim, but I would like to learn more, especially if I could get all the great vim keyboard control in a zen environment.

        Believe it or not, not everybody uses Omm Writer and therefore don't know what the full screen writing is. I'm not sure what you mean and the official Omm Writer site wasn't too useful in finding out right away.

        If you want to remove GUI elements like scrollbars, menus, and buttons from gvim, see :help 'guioptions'

        Maximizing the window to full screen is done by your OS desktop environment.

        For sound, Vim doesn't do that. Open a media player in the background and play whatever you like and Vim won't interfere.

      • Tim Chase
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 7, 2012
          > I really dig the full screen writing and sound features of Omm
          > Writer, and I was wondering if there was any way to customize vim
          > to do a similar thing. Would this be possible with a vimscript? I
          > don't know much about scripting vim, but I would like to learn
          > more, especially if I could get all the great vim keyboard
          > control in a zen environment.

          You might have to detail what features you like/want for those of us
          not familiar with OmmWriter, and perhaps which platform you want it
          on (Win32, Mac, *nix). I do frequently run vim full-screen. On
          Linux, my window-manager (fluxbox) has options for turning off all
          window chrome, so my maximized console can occupy the *whole* screen
          (I have rxvt/xterms windows default to chromeless). Or if you're
          running gvim, you can turn off Vim-specific chrome like the
          menubar/toolbar/scrollbar to mimic the "you can't see anything on
          the screen except Vim" aspect.

          -tim

        • Erik Falor
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 7, 2012
            On Fri, Dec 07, 2012 at 11:41:17AM -0800, Ben Fritz wrote:
            > On Friday, December 7, 2012 11:57:00 AM UTC-6, robslav wrote:
            > > Hey all,
            > >
            > > I really dig the full screen writing and sound features of Omm Writer, and I was wondering if there was any way to customize vim to do a similar thing. Would this be possible with a vimscript? I don't know much about scripting vim, but I would like to learn more, especially if I could get all the great vim keyboard control in a zen environment.

            Now I'm curious. I imagine that I could emulate much of the OmmWriter
            experience by running Vim in a full-screened, chromeless terminal in a
            compositing windowmanager with electric sheep running in the root
            window, and typing on a classic IBM 101-key keyboard. I would still
            have to get some new-agey music, to to complete the effect...

            I downloaded OmmWriter to enhance my creativity through chromatherapy,
            but being coerced into giving up my email address really dimmed my
            aura. It just felt so... corporate.

            In case you have a Wintendo or a Mac and wish to free your spirit from
            distractions, here are the direct download links:

            http://www.ommwriter.com/en/download-ommwriter-dana-i-mac.html
            http://www.ommwriter.com/en/download-ommwriter-dana-i-pc.html

            At any rate, their website was fun to read. Especially the
            explanation of why they opted for a horizontal cursor over of a
            vertical one.

            --
            Erik Falor http://unnovative.net
            Registered Linux User #445632 http://linuxcounter.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 7, 2012
              On Fri, 7 Dec 2012, Ben Fritz wrote:

              > On Friday, December 7, 2012 11:57:00 AM UTC-6, robslav wrote:
              >> Hey all,
              >>
              >> I really dig the full screen writing and sound features of Omm Writer, and I
              >> was wondering if there was any way to customize vim to do a similar thing.
              >> Would this be possible with a vimscript? I don't know much about scripting
              >> vim, but I would like to learn more, especially if I could get all the great
              >> vim keyboard control in a zen environment.
              >
              > Believe it or not, not everybody uses Omm Writer and therefore don't know
              > what the full screen writing is. I'm not sure what you mean and the official
              > Omm Writer site wasn't too useful in finding out right away.
              >
              > If you want to remove GUI elements like scrollbars, menus, and buttons from
              > gvim, see :help 'guioptions'
              >
              > Maximizing the window to full screen is done by your OS desktop environment.
              >
              > For sound, Vim doesn't do that. Open a media player in the background and
              > play whatever you like and Vim won't interfere.

              Hi Rob

              I do use text editors for editing text (as opposed to coding). Like Ben i'm at
              a loss to see what Ommwriter has got to offer that FocusWriter and other
              similar writer apps haven't got... there are three others but i can't remember
              what they are called. I think i'm right in saying that these writer's apps are
              fine but when one submits for publishing they'll be asking for a .txt file.

              Leafpad is an excellent graphical editor free of distractions to put down plain
              text (when i say excellent i mean it's been well tested and is a basic no
              nonsense editor) coping perfectly with wordwrap. gedit and kate will do almost
              anything you want apart from word count - both fairly distraction free.

              As i've learnt one does occasionally need the sophistication of a more advanced
              editor like vim which has the capability to cope with almost anything you ask
              of it. As Ben says vim (& gvim) offers complete configurability to one's taste.
              Just need to read the manual.... which i'm trying to go through as i get the
              time! Stay with vim... after all it is the world's top editor.

              james

            • stosss
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 7, 2012
                On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 3:55 PM, Erik Falor <ewfalor@...> wrote:

                > Now I'm curious. I imagine that I could emulate much of the OmmWriter
                > experience by running Vim in a full-screened, chromeless terminal in a
                > compositing windowmanager with electric sheep running in the root
                > window, and typing on a classic IBM 101-key keyboard. I would still
                > have to get some new-agey music, to to complete the effect...
                >
                > I downloaded OmmWriter to enhance my creativity through chromatherapy,
                > but being coerced into giving up my email address really dimmed my
                > aura. It just felt so... corporate.
                >
                > In case you have a Wintendo or a Mac and wish to free your spirit from
                > distractions, here are the direct download links:
                >
                > http://www.ommwriter.com/en/download-ommwriter-dana-i-mac.html
                > http://www.ommwriter.com/en/download-ommwriter-dana-i-pc.html
                >
                > At any rate, their website was fun to read. Especially the
                > explanation of why they opted for a horizontal cursor over of a
                > vertical one.

                Would the experience be even better if I was smoking a joint? Peace
                dude! I have the munchies.

              • Christian Brabandt
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 8, 2012
                  Hi robslav!

                  On Fr, 07 Dez 2012, robslav wrote:

                  > I really dig the full screen writing and sound features of Omm Writer,
                  > and I was wondering if there was any way to customize vim to do a
                  > similar thing. Would this be possible with a vimscript? I don't know
                  > much about scripting vim, but I would like to learn more, especially
                  > if I could get all the great vim keyboard control in a zen
                  > environment.

                  I doubt you can do the sound thing or the chromatherapy (which btw I
                  would find very disturbing). Here is a link, to make Vim on Windows
                  behave like Darkroom, which seems to be similar:

                  https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!msg/vim_use/cMBH0abLXGg/OGv9tAgFYB8J

                  Saving as pdf isn't directly supported either. You'll need a printer
                  driver and print using either Vims :hardcopy command or first convert
                  the file to html and print the resulting page to pdf from your browser.

                  regards,
                  Christian
                  --
                  Um sich etwas zu erklären, nimmt die große Welt lieber die
                  entsetzlichste Sünde als eine gewöhnliche an.

                • David Sanson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 9, 2012
                    If you are just looking to replicate the experience of writeroom and its many clones in vim, poke around on github and you'll find several options. For example:

                    https://github.com/dsanson/writer.vim
                    https://github.com/honza/writer.vim
                    https://github.com/laktek/distraction-free-writing-vim

                    No reason you couldn't just play sound in the background, right?

                    David