Re: vim script can't create /tmp file

  • Gary Johnson
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 5, 2012
      On 2012-12-05, Christian Brabandt wrote:
      > On Wed, December 5, 2012 09:37, sinbad wrote:
      > > any other pointers on how to get rid of this error.
      > > it's became very annoying.
      >
      > Have you checked all your cronjobs and scripts, that you run?
      > Can you eliminate, that root doesn't run some jobs, that clean /tmp?

      You may have to do some digging to find root's cron jobs. For
      example, on my Ubuntu 10.04 system, "sudo cron -l -u root" says that
      root has no cron jobs, but it does run /etc/crontab and the scripts
      in /etc/cron.d. It doesn't clean /tmp, though.

      Gary

    • sinbad
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 10, 2012
        On Wednesday, December 5, 2012 10:51:05 PM UTC+5:30, Gary Johnson wrote:
        > On 2012-12-05, Christian Brabandt wrote:
        >
        > > On Wed, December 5, 2012 09:37, sinbad wrote:
        >
        > > > any other pointers on how to get rid of this error.
        >
        > > > it's became very annoying.
        >

        > > Have you checked all your cronjobs and scripts, that you run?
        >
        > > Can you eliminate, that root doesn't run some jobs, that clean /tmp?
        >

        > You may have to do some digging to find root's cron jobs. For
        >
        > example, on my Ubuntu 10.04 system, "sudo cron -l -u root" says that
        >
        > root has no cron jobs, but it does run /etc/crontab and the scripts
        >
        > in /etc/cron.d. It doesn't clean /tmp, though.
        >

        > Gary

        I am running as non-root and i don't have sudo
        permission, i was not able to check the root's
        cron jobs, i checked mine there are no cron
        jobs running. am i screwed ?

      • Christian Brabandt
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 10, 2012
          On Tue, December 11, 2012 07:15, sinbad wrote:
          > I am running as non-root and i don't have sudo
          > permission, i was not able to check the root's
          > cron jobs, i checked mine there are no cron
          > jobs running. am i screwed ?

          It's annoying but you are not screwed. Simply recreate that
          directory and you should be fine. See the command, I posted
          earlier.

          regards,
          Christian

        • Gary Johnson
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 10, 2012
            On 2012-12-10, sinbad wrote:
            > On Wednesday, December 5, 2012 10:51:05 PM UTC+5:30, Gary Johnson wrote:
            > > On 2012-12-05, Christian Brabandt wrote:

            > > > Have you checked all your cronjobs and scripts, that you run?
            > > > Can you eliminate, that root doesn't run some jobs, that clean /tmp?
            > >
            > > You may have to do some digging to find root's cron jobs. For
            > > example, on my Ubuntu 10.04 system, "sudo cron -l -u root" says that
            > > root has no cron jobs, but it does run /etc/crontab and the scripts
            > > in /etc/cron.d. It doesn't clean /tmp, though.

            > I am running as non-root and i don't have sudo
            > permission, i was not able to check the root's
            > cron jobs, i checked mine there are no cron
            > jobs running. am i screwed ?

            I don't think it's hopeless, but may be difficult to find the cause.

            You wrote that you don't have root or sudo permission. That
            suggests that you are using a computer administered by someone else.
            Can you just ask that person or someone in that group if they know
            of any /tmp-cleaning program that might be running?

            On my Ubuntu 10.04 and Fedora 14 systems, all the /etc/cron* files
            have 755 permissions, so you could poke around there and see if you
            can find some /tmp cleaner.

            It _might_ help to know the timing of these deletions. Do they
            happen after Vim has been running for a certain amount of time? Do
            they happen at certain times of day, or at a certain number of
            minutes past the hour? That might give you a clue to the cause. If
            you could predict the times at which it occurs, you could possibly
            run "ps -ef" in a loop at that time and look for suspicious
            processes.

            HTH,
            Gary

          • sinbad
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 11, 2012
              On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 12:51:56 PM UTC+5:30, Gary Johnson wrote:
              > On 2012-12-10, sinbad wrote:

              > > > You may have to do some digging to find root's cron jobs. For
              >
              > > > example, on my Ubuntu 10.04 system, "sudo cron -l -u root" says that
              >
              > > > root has no cron jobs, but it does run /etc/crontab and the scripts
              >
              > > > in /etc/cron.d. It doesn't clean /tmp, though.
              >

              > > I am running as non-root and i don't have sudo
              >
              > > permission, i was not able to check the root's
              >
              > > cron jobs, i checked mine there are no cron
              >
              > > jobs running. am i screwed ?
              >

              > I don't think it's hopeless, but may be difficult to find the cause.
              >

              > You wrote that you don't have root or sudo permission. That
              >
              > suggests that you are using a computer administered by someone else.
              >
              > Can you just ask that person or someone in that group if they know
              >
              > of any /tmp-cleaning program that might be running?
              >

              > On my Ubuntu 10.04 and Fedora 14 systems, all the /etc/cron* files
              >
              > have 755 permissions, so you could poke around there and see if you
              >
              > can find some /tmp cleaner.
              >

              > It _might_ help to know the timing of these deletions. Do they
              >
              > happen after Vim has been running for a certain amount of time? Do
              >
              > they happen at certain times of day, or at a certain number of
              >
              > minutes past the hour? That might give you a clue to the cause. If
              >
              > you could predict the times at which it occurs, you could possibly
              >
              > run "ps -ef" in a loop at that time and look for suspicious
              >
              > processes.
              >

              > HTH,
              >
              > Gary

              there are two possibilities here, first one of vim
              script is deleting the tmpfile, the other is some cron
              job might be deleting it. in the first case can i put a
              watch on the tmpfile created from with in vim. In the
              latter case, can i force vim to create the tmp directory
              in my homedir rather than in /tmp so that the cron job
              won't have access to it. please suggest ways to achieve
              above.

            • Gary Johnson
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 11, 2012
                On 2012-12-11, sinbad wrote:

                > there are two possibilities here, first one of vim
                > script is deleting the tmpfile, the other is some cron
                > job might be deleting it. in the first case can i put a
                > watch on the tmpfile created from with in vim. In the
                > latter case, can i force vim to create the tmp directory
                > in my homedir rather than in /tmp so that the cron job
                > won't have access to it. please suggest ways to achieve
                > above.

                Somebody suggested earlier a way to put a watch on that tmpfile, but
                you apparently don't have permission to do that.

                As for putting your tmp directory someplace else,

                :help tempfile

                says that on Unix, Vim uses the first of this list of directories:
                $TMPDIR, /tmp, current-dir, $HOME. Therefore, you could set TMPDIR
                in your environment before starting Vim, either by setting it in
                your shell's .rc file (e.g., ~/.bashrc) or by setting it as you
                start Vim, e.g.,

                TMPFILE=~/tmp vim

                You could put that in a wrapper script or in an alias:

                alias vim='TMPFILE=~/tmp vim'

                Regards,
                Gary

              • Gary Johnson
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 11, 2012
                  On 2012-12-11, Gary Johnson wrote:
                  > On 2012-12-11, sinbad wrote:
                  >
                  > > there are two possibilities here, first one of vim
                  > > script is deleting the tmpfile, the other is some cron
                  > > job might be deleting it. in the first case can i put a
                  > > watch on the tmpfile created from with in vim. In the
                  > > latter case, can i force vim to create the tmp directory
                  > > in my homedir rather than in /tmp so that the cron job
                  > > won't have access to it. please suggest ways to achieve
                  > > above.
                  >
                  > Somebody suggested earlier a way to put a watch on that tmpfile, but
                  > you apparently don't have permission to do that.
                  >
                  > As for putting your tmp directory someplace else,
                  >
                  > :help tempfile
                  >
                  > says that on Unix, Vim uses the first of this list of directories:
                  > $TMPDIR, /tmp, current-dir, $HOME. Therefore, you could set TMPDIR
                  > in your environment before starting Vim, either by setting it in
                  > your shell's .rc file (e.g., ~/.bashrc) or by setting it as you
                  > start Vim, e.g.,
                  >
                  > TMPFILE=~/tmp vim
                  >
                  > You could put that in a wrapper script or in an alias:
                  >
                  > alias vim='TMPFILE=~/tmp vim'

                  An even easier way is to put a line like this towards the top of
                  your ~/.vimrc:

                  let $TMPDIR = $HOME."/tmp"

                  Regards,
                  Gary

                • sinbad
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 13, 2012
                    On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 10:10:02 PM UTC+5:30, Gary Johnson wrote:
                    > On 2012-12-11, Gary Johnson wrote:
                    >
                    > > On 2012-12-11, sinbad wrote:
                    >

                    > > > there are two possibilities here, first one of vim
                    >
                    > > > script is deleting the tmpfile, the other is some cron
                    >
                    > > > job might be deleting it. in the first case can i put a
                    >
                    > > > watch on the tmpfile created from with in vim. In the
                    >
                    > > > latter case, can i force vim to create the tmp directory
                    >
                    > > > in my homedir rather than in /tmp so that the cron job
                    >
                    > > > won't have access to it. please suggest ways to achieve
                    >
                    > > > above.
                    >

                    > > Somebody suggested earlier a way to put a watch on that tmpfile, but
                    >
                    > > you apparently don't have permission to do that.
                    >

                    > > As for putting your tmp directory someplace else,
                    >

                    > > :help tempfile
                    >

                    > > says that on Unix, Vim uses the first of this list of directories:
                    >
                    > > $TMPDIR, /tmp, current-dir, $HOME. Therefore, you could set TMPDIR
                    >
                    > > in your environment before starting Vim, either by setting it in
                    >
                    > > your shell's .rc file (e.g., ~/.bashrc) or by setting it as you
                    >
                    > > start Vim, e.g.,
                    >

                    > > TMPFILE=~/tmp vim
                    >

                    > > You could put that in a wrapper script or in an alias:
                    >

                    > > alias vim='TMPFILE=~/tmp vim'
                    >

                    > An even easier way is to put a line like this towards the top of
                    >
                    > your ~/.vimrc:
                    >

                    > let $TMPDIR = $HOME."/tmp"
                    >

                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > Gary