Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: vim script can't create /tmp file

Expand Messages
  • David Fishburn
    ... https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/vim_use/JSXaM9YjWKo) after compiling my own version of Vim (which I do routinely). After updating again
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 5, 2012
    View Source
    • 0 Attachment
      ...
      > > Is this a Vim you compiled yourself?
      > >
      > >
      > > David
      >
      > yes. i compiled it myself.

      any other pointers on how to get rid of this error.
      it's became very annoying.

      The reason I asked is I ran into a similar issue (on Windows, https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/vim_use/JSXaM9YjWKo) after compiling my own version of Vim (which I do routinely).

      After updating again and recompiling, the problem went away.

      Perhaps you have run into a similar issue and a recompile might get you going?

      HTH,
      David
       

      --
      You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
      Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
      For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
    • Christian Brabandt
      ... Have you checked all your cronjobs and scripts, that you run? Can you eliminate, that root doesn t run some jobs, that clean /tmp? I once made a patch,
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 5, 2012
      View Source
      • 0 Attachment
        On Wed, December 5, 2012 09:37, sinbad wrote:
        > any other pointers on how to get rid of this error.
        > it's became very annoying.

        Have you checked all your cronjobs and scripts, that you run?
        Can you eliminate, that root doesn't run some jobs, that clean /tmp?

        I once made a patch, that changed Vims behaviour to check everytime,
        whether the temp directory is still valid and if not re-create it,
        but Bram didn't want to include it.

        Since this happens usually only very rarely, I have this command
        in my .vimrc:
        " In case /tmp get's clean out, make a new tmp directory for vim
        :command! Mktmpdir call mkdir(fnamemodify(tempname(),":p:h"),"",0700)

        regards,
        Christian

        --
        You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
        Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
        For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
      • Gary Johnson
        ... You may have to do some digging to find root s cron jobs. For example, on my Ubuntu 10.04 system, sudo cron -l -u root says that root has no cron jobs,
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 5, 2012
        View Source
        • 0 Attachment
          On 2012-12-05, Christian Brabandt wrote:
          > On Wed, December 5, 2012 09:37, sinbad wrote:
          > > any other pointers on how to get rid of this error.
          > > it's became very annoying.
          >
          > Have you checked all your cronjobs and scripts, that you run?
          > Can you eliminate, that root doesn't run some jobs, that clean /tmp?

          You may have to do some digging to find root's cron jobs. For
          example, on my Ubuntu 10.04 system, "sudo cron -l -u root" says that
          root has no cron jobs, but it does run /etc/crontab and the scripts
          in /etc/cron.d. It doesn't clean /tmp, though.

          Gary

          --
          You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
          Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
          For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
        • sinbad
          ... I am running as non-root and i don t have sudo permission, i was not able to check the root s cron jobs, i checked mine there are no cron jobs running. am
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 10, 2012
          View Source
          • 0 Attachment
            On Wednesday, December 5, 2012 10:51:05 PM UTC+5:30, Gary Johnson wrote:
            > On 2012-12-05, Christian Brabandt wrote:
            >
            > > On Wed, December 5, 2012 09:37, sinbad wrote:
            >
            > > > any other pointers on how to get rid of this error.
            >
            > > > it's became very annoying.
            >
            > >
            >
            > > Have you checked all your cronjobs and scripts, that you run?
            >
            > > Can you eliminate, that root doesn't run some jobs, that clean /tmp?
            >
            >
            >
            > You may have to do some digging to find root's cron jobs. For
            >
            > example, on my Ubuntu 10.04 system, "sudo cron -l -u root" says that
            >
            > root has no cron jobs, but it does run /etc/crontab and the scripts
            >
            > in /etc/cron.d. It doesn't clean /tmp, though.
            >
            >
            >
            > Gary

            I am running as non-root and i don't have sudo
            permission, i was not able to check the root's
            cron jobs, i checked mine there are no cron
            jobs running. am i screwed ?

            --
            You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
            Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
            For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
          • Christian Brabandt
            ... It s annoying but you are not screwed. Simply recreate that directory and you should be fine. See the command, I posted earlier. regards, Christian -- You
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 10, 2012
            View Source
            • 0 Attachment
              On Tue, December 11, 2012 07:15, sinbad wrote:
              > I am running as non-root and i don't have sudo
              > permission, i was not able to check the root's
              > cron jobs, i checked mine there are no cron
              > jobs running. am i screwed ?

              It's annoying but you are not screwed. Simply recreate that
              directory and you should be fine. See the command, I posted
              earlier.

              regards,
              Christian

              --
              You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
              Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
              For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
            • Gary Johnson
              ... I don t think it s hopeless, but may be difficult to find the cause. You wrote that you don t have root or sudo permission. That suggests that you are
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 10, 2012
              View Source
              • 0 Attachment
                On 2012-12-10, sinbad wrote:
                > On Wednesday, December 5, 2012 10:51:05 PM UTC+5:30, Gary Johnson wrote:
                > > On 2012-12-05, Christian Brabandt wrote:

                > > > Have you checked all your cronjobs and scripts, that you run?
                > > > Can you eliminate, that root doesn't run some jobs, that clean /tmp?
                > >
                > > You may have to do some digging to find root's cron jobs. For
                > > example, on my Ubuntu 10.04 system, "sudo cron -l -u root" says that
                > > root has no cron jobs, but it does run /etc/crontab and the scripts
                > > in /etc/cron.d. It doesn't clean /tmp, though.

                > I am running as non-root and i don't have sudo
                > permission, i was not able to check the root's
                > cron jobs, i checked mine there are no cron
                > jobs running. am i screwed ?

                I don't think it's hopeless, but may be difficult to find the cause.

                You wrote that you don't have root or sudo permission. That
                suggests that you are using a computer administered by someone else.
                Can you just ask that person or someone in that group if they know
                of any /tmp-cleaning program that might be running?

                On my Ubuntu 10.04 and Fedora 14 systems, all the /etc/cron* files
                have 755 permissions, so you could poke around there and see if you
                can find some /tmp cleaner.

                It _might_ help to know the timing of these deletions. Do they
                happen after Vim has been running for a certain amount of time? Do
                they happen at certain times of day, or at a certain number of
                minutes past the hour? That might give you a clue to the cause. If
                you could predict the times at which it occurs, you could possibly
                run "ps -ef" in a loop at that time and look for suspicious
                processes.

                HTH,
                Gary

                --
                You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
                Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
              • sinbad
                ... there are two possibilities here, first one of vim script is deleting the tmpfile, the other is some cron job might be deleting it. in the first case can i
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 11, 2012
                View Source
                • 0 Attachment
                  On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 12:51:56 PM UTC+5:30, Gary Johnson wrote:
                  > On 2012-12-10, sinbad wrote:
                  >
                  > > On Wednesday, December 5, 2012 10:51:05 PM UTC+5:30, Gary Johnson wrote:
                  >
                  > > > On 2012-12-05, Christian Brabandt wrote:
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > > > > Have you checked all your cronjobs and scripts, that you run?
                  >
                  > > > > Can you eliminate, that root doesn't run some jobs, that clean /tmp?
                  >
                  > > >
                  >
                  > > > You may have to do some digging to find root's cron jobs. For
                  >
                  > > > example, on my Ubuntu 10.04 system, "sudo cron -l -u root" says that
                  >
                  > > > root has no cron jobs, but it does run /etc/crontab and the scripts
                  >
                  > > > in /etc/cron.d. It doesn't clean /tmp, though.
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > > I am running as non-root and i don't have sudo
                  >
                  > > permission, i was not able to check the root's
                  >
                  > > cron jobs, i checked mine there are no cron
                  >
                  > > jobs running. am i screwed ?
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > I don't think it's hopeless, but may be difficult to find the cause.
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > You wrote that you don't have root or sudo permission. That
                  >
                  > suggests that you are using a computer administered by someone else.
                  >
                  > Can you just ask that person or someone in that group if they know
                  >
                  > of any /tmp-cleaning program that might be running?
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > On my Ubuntu 10.04 and Fedora 14 systems, all the /etc/cron* files
                  >
                  > have 755 permissions, so you could poke around there and see if you
                  >
                  > can find some /tmp cleaner.
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > It _might_ help to know the timing of these deletions. Do they
                  >
                  > happen after Vim has been running for a certain amount of time? Do
                  >
                  > they happen at certain times of day, or at a certain number of
                  >
                  > minutes past the hour? That might give you a clue to the cause. If
                  >
                  > you could predict the times at which it occurs, you could possibly
                  >
                  > run "ps -ef" in a loop at that time and look for suspicious
                  >
                  > processes.
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > HTH,
                  >
                  > Gary

                  there are two possibilities here, first one of vim
                  script is deleting the tmpfile, the other is some cron
                  job might be deleting it. in the first case can i put a
                  watch on the tmpfile created from with in vim. In the
                  latter case, can i force vim to create the tmp directory
                  in my homedir rather than in /tmp so that the cron job
                  won't have access to it. please suggest ways to achieve
                  above.

                  --
                  You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
                  Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                  For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
                • Gary Johnson
                  ... Somebody suggested earlier a way to put a watch on that tmpfile, but you apparently don t have permission to do that. As for putting your tmp directory
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 11, 2012
                  View Source
                  • 0 Attachment
                    On 2012-12-11, sinbad wrote:

                    > there are two possibilities here, first one of vim
                    > script is deleting the tmpfile, the other is some cron
                    > job might be deleting it. in the first case can i put a
                    > watch on the tmpfile created from with in vim. In the
                    > latter case, can i force vim to create the tmp directory
                    > in my homedir rather than in /tmp so that the cron job
                    > won't have access to it. please suggest ways to achieve
                    > above.

                    Somebody suggested earlier a way to put a watch on that tmpfile, but
                    you apparently don't have permission to do that.

                    As for putting your tmp directory someplace else,

                    :help tempfile

                    says that on Unix, Vim uses the first of this list of directories:
                    $TMPDIR, /tmp, current-dir, $HOME. Therefore, you could set TMPDIR
                    in your environment before starting Vim, either by setting it in
                    your shell's .rc file (e.g., ~/.bashrc) or by setting it as you
                    start Vim, e.g.,

                    TMPFILE=~/tmp vim

                    You could put that in a wrapper script or in an alias:

                    alias vim='TMPFILE=~/tmp vim'

                    Regards,
                    Gary

                    --
                    You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
                    Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                    For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
                  • Gary Johnson
                    ... An even easier way is to put a line like this towards the top of your ~/.vimrc: let $TMPDIR = $HOME. /tmp Regards, Gary -- You received this message from
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 11, 2012
                    View Source
                    • 0 Attachment
                      On 2012-12-11, Gary Johnson wrote:
                      > On 2012-12-11, sinbad wrote:
                      >
                      > > there are two possibilities here, first one of vim
                      > > script is deleting the tmpfile, the other is some cron
                      > > job might be deleting it. in the first case can i put a
                      > > watch on the tmpfile created from with in vim. In the
                      > > latter case, can i force vim to create the tmp directory
                      > > in my homedir rather than in /tmp so that the cron job
                      > > won't have access to it. please suggest ways to achieve
                      > > above.
                      >
                      > Somebody suggested earlier a way to put a watch on that tmpfile, but
                      > you apparently don't have permission to do that.
                      >
                      > As for putting your tmp directory someplace else,
                      >
                      > :help tempfile
                      >
                      > says that on Unix, Vim uses the first of this list of directories:
                      > $TMPDIR, /tmp, current-dir, $HOME. Therefore, you could set TMPDIR
                      > in your environment before starting Vim, either by setting it in
                      > your shell's .rc file (e.g., ~/.bashrc) or by setting it as you
                      > start Vim, e.g.,
                      >
                      > TMPFILE=~/tmp vim
                      >
                      > You could put that in a wrapper script or in an alias:
                      >
                      > alias vim='TMPFILE=~/tmp vim'

                      An even easier way is to put a line like this towards the top of
                      your ~/.vimrc:

                      let $TMPDIR = $HOME."/tmp"

                      Regards,
                      Gary

                      --
                      You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
                      Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                      For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
                    • sinbad
                      ... Gary, Christian, thanks for the help. setting $TMPDIR to my homedir solved the problem, so it s really one of the root s cron jobs screwing with my /tmp
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 13, 2012
                      View Source
                      • 0 Attachment
                        On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 10:10:02 PM UTC+5:30, Gary Johnson wrote:
                        > On 2012-12-11, Gary Johnson wrote:
                        >
                        > > On 2012-12-11, sinbad wrote:
                        >
                        > >
                        >
                        > > > there are two possibilities here, first one of vim
                        >
                        > > > script is deleting the tmpfile, the other is some cron
                        >
                        > > > job might be deleting it. in the first case can i put a
                        >
                        > > > watch on the tmpfile created from with in vim. In the
                        >
                        > > > latter case, can i force vim to create the tmp directory
                        >
                        > > > in my homedir rather than in /tmp so that the cron job
                        >
                        > > > won't have access to it. please suggest ways to achieve
                        >
                        > > > above.
                        >
                        > >
                        >
                        > > Somebody suggested earlier a way to put a watch on that tmpfile, but
                        >
                        > > you apparently don't have permission to do that.
                        >
                        > >
                        >
                        > > As for putting your tmp directory someplace else,
                        >
                        > >
                        >
                        > > :help tempfile
                        >
                        > >
                        >
                        > > says that on Unix, Vim uses the first of this list of directories:
                        >
                        > > $TMPDIR, /tmp, current-dir, $HOME. Therefore, you could set TMPDIR
                        >
                        > > in your environment before starting Vim, either by setting it in
                        >
                        > > your shell's .rc file (e.g., ~/.bashrc) or by setting it as you
                        >
                        > > start Vim, e.g.,
                        >
                        > >
                        >
                        > > TMPFILE=~/tmp vim
                        >
                        > >
                        >
                        > > You could put that in a wrapper script or in an alias:
                        >
                        > >
                        >
                        > > alias vim='TMPFILE=~/tmp vim'
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        > An even easier way is to put a line like this towards the top of
                        >
                        > your ~/.vimrc:
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        > let $TMPDIR = $HOME."/tmp"
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        > Regards,
                        >
                        > Gary

                        Gary, Christian, thanks for the help.
                        setting $TMPDIR to my homedir solved
                        the problem, so it's really one of the
                        root's cron jobs screwing with my /tmp
                        files.

                        --
                        You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
                        Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                        For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
                      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.