Re: vim: strange issue with gq

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 4, 2012
      On 05/12/12 03:08, ping wrote:
      > hi:
      > I have following text (from Dickens)
      >
      > I was born with a caul, which was advertised for sale, in
      > the newspapers, at the low price of fifteen guineas. Whether
      >

      > whenever I gqap it with tw=45, it will persistently produce:
      >
      > I was born with a caul, which was advertised
      > for sale, in the newspapers, at the low price
      > of fifteen guineas. Whether
      >
      > I tested some other paragraphs from the same novel, can't reproduce it.
      >
      > I know there must be sth in my .vimrc, since another machine (and vim -u
      > NONE) there is no issues with the same texts. But I just can't locate
      > the issues.
      >
      > any idea how to narrow it down?

      1. Make that file current (Place the blinking cursor in its window),
      either by clicking, by Ctrl-W w, by means of ":e filename" or ":new
      filename", or by any other appropriate means.

      2. :verbose setlocal formatexpr? formatoptions?

    • sc
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 4, 2012
        On Tue, Dec 04, 2012 at 09:08:42PM -0500, ping wrote:
        > hi:
        > I have following text (from Dickens)

        > I was born with a caul, which was advertised for sale, in
        > the newspapers, at the low price of fifteen guineas. Whether

        > whenever I gqap it with tw=45, it will persistently produce:

        > I was born with a caul, which was advertised
        > for sale, in the newspapers, at the low price
        > of fifteen guineas. Whether

        > I tested some other paragraphs from the same novel, can't reproduce it.

        > I know there must be sth in my .vimrc, since another machine (and vim -u
        > NONE) there is no issues with the same texts. But I just can't locate
        > the issues.

        > any idea how to narrow it down?

        I'd start by asking vim what he believes is the filetype -- this looks
        to me like a syntax buggaboo.

        sc

      • ping
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 4, 2012
          On 12/4/2012 9:24 PM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
          > 1. Make that file current (Place the blinking cursor in its window),
          > either by clicking, by Ctrl-W w, by means of ":e filename" or ":new
          > filename", or by any other appropriate means.
          >
          > 2. :verbose setlocal formatexpr? formatoptions?

          here is the values of :verbose setlocal
          formatoptions=tcqmB
          formatexpr=
          filetype=text
          Last set from /usr/share/vim/vim73/filetype.vim

          thanks!

        • Benjamin R. Haskell
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 4, 2012
            On Tue, 4 Dec 2012, ping wrote:

            > hi:
            > I have following text (from Dickens)
            >
            > I was born with a caul, which was advertised for sale, in
            > the newspapers, at the low price of fifteen guineas. Whether
            >

            > whenever I gqap it with tw=45, it will persistently produce:
            >
            > I was born with a caul, which was advertised
            > for sale, in the newspapers, at the low price
            > of fifteen guineas. Whether
            >
            > I tested some other paragraphs from the same novel, can't reproduce
            > it.
            >
            > I know there must be sth in my .vimrc, since another machine (and vim
            > -u NONE) there is no issues with the same texts. But I just can't
            > locate the issues.
            >
            > any idea how to narrow it down?

            It's a side-effect of 'smartindent' ('si').

            From :help 'smartindent':

            """
            An indent is automatically inserted:
            [...]
            - After a line starting with a keyword from 'cinwords'.
            """

            Default value of 'cinwords': "if,else,while,do,for,switch"

            So, it's because the second line starts with 'for'.

            In my experience, 'smartindent' is rarely smart. Most languages to
            which it might apply already have smarter indent functions. And outside
            of programming, you definitely don't want it turned on.

            --
            Best,
            Ben

          • ping
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 4, 2012
              On 12/5/2012 12:07 AM, ping wrote:
              > On 12/4/2012 9:24 PM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
              >> 1. Make that file current (Place the blinking cursor in its window),
              >> either by clicking, by Ctrl-W w, by means of ":e filename" or ":new
              >> filename", or by any other appropriate means.
              >>
              >> 2. :verbose setlocal formatexpr? formatoptions?
              >
              > here is the values of :verbose setlocal
              > formatoptions=tcqmB
              > formatexpr=
              > filetype=text
              > Last set from /usr/share/vim/vim73/filetype.vim
              >
              > thanks!

              it looks this is permanently reproducible , even with:
              * vim -u NONE
              * another linux machine
              as long as I set 'smartindent'.

              steps to reproduce:
              1. vim -u NONE
              2. paste following texts (from Dickens noval)

              I was born with a caul, which was advertised for sale, in the
              newspapers, at the
              low price of fifteen guineas. Whether sea-going people were short of
              money about
              that time, or were short of faith and preferred cork jackets, I don't
              know; all

              3. set tw=45
              4. set smartindent
              5. gqap

              you'll see it.

              I check :help smartindent, but I couldn't find anything related to this,
              maybe I missed sth (stupid)?

              thanks

              regards
              ping

            • ping
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 4, 2012
                On 12/5/2012 12:20 AM, Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:
                > It's a side-effect of 'smartindent' ('si').
                >
                > From :help 'smartindent':
                >
                > """
                > An indent is automatically inserted:
                > [...]
                > - After a line starting with a keyword from 'cinwords'.
                > """
                >
                > Default value of 'cinwords': "if,else,while,do,for,switch"
                >
                > So, it's because the second line starts with 'for'.
                >
                > In my experience, 'smartindent' is rarely smart. Most languages to
                > which it might apply already have smarter indent functions. And outside
                > of programming, you definitely don't want it turned on.

                exactly that's what I just found of...
                thanks for the smart response!
                I'll turn it off from now on...

                regards