vim: strange issue with gq

  • ping
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 4, 2012
      hi:
      I have following text (from Dickens)

      I was born with a caul, which was advertised for sale, in
      the newspapers, at the low price of fifteen guineas. Whether

      whenever I gqap it with tw=45, it will persistently produce:

      I was born with a caul, which was advertised
      for sale, in the newspapers, at the low price
      of fifteen guineas. Whether

      I tested some other paragraphs from the same novel, can't reproduce it.

      I know there must be sth in my .vimrc, since another machine (and vim -u
      NONE) there is no issues with the same texts. But I just can't locate
      the issues.

      any idea how to narrow it down?

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 4, 2012
        On 05/12/12 03:08, ping wrote:
        > hi:
        > I have following text (from Dickens)
        >
        > I was born with a caul, which was advertised for sale, in
        > the newspapers, at the low price of fifteen guineas. Whether
        >

        > whenever I gqap it with tw=45, it will persistently produce:
        >
        > I was born with a caul, which was advertised
        > for sale, in the newspapers, at the low price
        > of fifteen guineas. Whether
        >
        > I tested some other paragraphs from the same novel, can't reproduce it.
        >
        > I know there must be sth in my .vimrc, since another machine (and vim -u
        > NONE) there is no issues with the same texts. But I just can't locate
        > the issues.
        >
        > any idea how to narrow it down?

        1. Make that file current (Place the blinking cursor in its window),
        either by clicking, by Ctrl-W w, by means of ":e filename" or ":new
        filename", or by any other appropriate means.

        2. :verbose setlocal formatexpr? formatoptions?

      • sc
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 4, 2012
          On Tue, Dec 04, 2012 at 09:08:42PM -0500, ping wrote:
          > hi:
          > I have following text (from Dickens)

          > I was born with a caul, which was advertised for sale, in
          > the newspapers, at the low price of fifteen guineas. Whether

          > whenever I gqap it with tw=45, it will persistently produce:

          > I was born with a caul, which was advertised
          > for sale, in the newspapers, at the low price
          > of fifteen guineas. Whether

          > I tested some other paragraphs from the same novel, can't reproduce it.

          > I know there must be sth in my .vimrc, since another machine (and vim -u
          > NONE) there is no issues with the same texts. But I just can't locate
          > the issues.

          > any idea how to narrow it down?

          I'd start by asking vim what he believes is the filetype -- this looks
          to me like a syntax buggaboo.

          sc

        • ping
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 4, 2012
            On 12/4/2012 9:24 PM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
            > 1. Make that file current (Place the blinking cursor in its window),
            > either by clicking, by Ctrl-W w, by means of ":e filename" or ":new
            > filename", or by any other appropriate means.
            >
            > 2. :verbose setlocal formatexpr? formatoptions?

            here is the values of :verbose setlocal
            formatoptions=tcqmB
            formatexpr=
            filetype=text
            Last set from /usr/share/vim/vim73/filetype.vim

            thanks!

          • Benjamin R. Haskell
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 4, 2012
              On Tue, 4 Dec 2012, ping wrote:

              > hi:
              > I have following text (from Dickens)
              >
              > I was born with a caul, which was advertised for sale, in
              > the newspapers, at the low price of fifteen guineas. Whether
              >

              > whenever I gqap it with tw=45, it will persistently produce:
              >
              > I was born with a caul, which was advertised
              > for sale, in the newspapers, at the low price
              > of fifteen guineas. Whether
              >
              > I tested some other paragraphs from the same novel, can't reproduce
              > it.
              >
              > I know there must be sth in my .vimrc, since another machine (and vim
              > -u NONE) there is no issues with the same texts. But I just can't
              > locate the issues.
              >
              > any idea how to narrow it down?

              It's a side-effect of 'smartindent' ('si').

              From :help 'smartindent':

              """
              An indent is automatically inserted:
              [...]
              - After a line starting with a keyword from 'cinwords'.
              """

              Default value of 'cinwords': "if,else,while,do,for,switch"

              So, it's because the second line starts with 'for'.

              In my experience, 'smartindent' is rarely smart. Most languages to
              which it might apply already have smarter indent functions. And outside
              of programming, you definitely don't want it turned on.

              --
              Best,
              Ben

            • ping
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 4, 2012
                On 12/5/2012 12:07 AM, ping wrote:
                > On 12/4/2012 9:24 PM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
                >> 1. Make that file current (Place the blinking cursor in its window),
                >> either by clicking, by Ctrl-W w, by means of ":e filename" or ":new
                >> filename", or by any other appropriate means.
                >>
                >> 2. :verbose setlocal formatexpr? formatoptions?
                >
                > here is the values of :verbose setlocal
                > formatoptions=tcqmB
                > formatexpr=
                > filetype=text
                > Last set from /usr/share/vim/vim73/filetype.vim
                >
                > thanks!

                it looks this is permanently reproducible , even with:
                * vim -u NONE
                * another linux machine
                as long as I set 'smartindent'.

                steps to reproduce:
                1. vim -u NONE
                2. paste following texts (from Dickens noval)

                I was born with a caul, which was advertised for sale, in the
                newspapers, at the
                low price of fifteen guineas. Whether sea-going people were short of
                money about
                that time, or were short of faith and preferred cork jackets, I don't
                know; all

                3. set tw=45
                4. set smartindent
                5. gqap

                you'll see it.

                I check :help smartindent, but I couldn't find anything related to this,
                maybe I missed sth (stupid)?

                thanks

                regards
                ping

              • ping
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 4, 2012
                  On 12/5/2012 12:20 AM, Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:
                  > It's a side-effect of 'smartindent' ('si').
                  >
                  > From :help 'smartindent':
                  >
                  > """
                  > An indent is automatically inserted:
                  > [...]
                  > - After a line starting with a keyword from 'cinwords'.
                  > """
                  >
                  > Default value of 'cinwords': "if,else,while,do,for,switch"
                  >
                  > So, it's because the second line starts with 'for'.
                  >
                  > In my experience, 'smartindent' is rarely smart. Most languages to
                  > which it might apply already have smarter indent functions. And outside
                  > of programming, you definitely don't want it turned on.

                  exactly that's what I just found of...
                  thanks for the smart response!
                  I'll turn it off from now on...

                  regards