Re: scratch buffer opening with a " in the command line

  • Chris Lott
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 4, 2012
      On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 2:02 AM, Marcin Szamotulski <mszamot@...> wrote:
      > On 21:05 Mon 03 Dec , Chris Lott wrote:
      >> I am trying to modify this script:
      >
      > I don't know either. But you can just add:
      >
      > nmap <buffer> q :quit<cr>
      >
      > after the line with 'mapclear <buffer>'. Then you can press q to quit
      > the wordnet buffer.
      >
      > Maybe <c-u> could help (:help c^u).

      I should have pushed my latest revision out, because that's almost
      exactly what I had done! The problem is that pesky " in the command
      line, which isn't coming from an accidental <C-R>...so the first press
      of 'q' cancels that.

      I tried mapping
      nmap <buffer> q <c-u>:q
      which is the key sequence that works when I do it manually, but no dice.

      I can just quit with qq now, but it's a matter of principle now :)

      Chris Lott <chris@...>

    • Chris Lott
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2012
        On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 7:17 AM, Chris Lott <chris@...> wrote:
        > On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 2:02 AM, Marcin Szamotulski <mszamot@...> wrote:
        >> On 21:05 Mon 03 Dec , Chris Lott wrote:
        >>> I am trying to modify this script:

        FYI: I figured this out. It was a stray quotation mark *I* put in the
        key mapping to call the function. Argh. Of course it didn't throw any
        kind of error so it was all the "nut behind the wheel" as they say.
        Sorry to waste your time!

        Chris Lott <chris@...>

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 4, 2012
          On 04/12/12 17:33, Chris Lott wrote:
          > On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 7:17 AM, Chris Lott <chris@...> wrote:
          >
          > FYI: I figured this out. It was a stray quotation mark *I* put in the
          > key mapping to call the function. Argh. Of course it didn't throw any
          > kind of error so it was all the "nut behind the wheel" as they say.
          > Sorry to waste your time!

          > Chris Lott <chris@...>

          Happy to know you found the solution. You aren't the first one (and, I'd
          bet, not the last one either) not to see something for a long time
          because it was too obvious. Remember the "Purloined Letter" novel, where
          a compromising letter was not found because it was "hidden" in plain
          view? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purloined_Letter

          Happy Vimming!
          We gave you an atomic bomb, what do you want, mermaids?
          -- I. I. Rabi to the Atomic Energy Commission