Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: scratch buffer opening with a " in the command line

Expand Messages
  • Marcin Szamotulski
    ... I don t know either. But you can just add: nmap q :quit after the line with mapclear . Then you can press q to quit the wordnet
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 4, 2012
    • 0 Attachment
      On 21:05 Mon 03 Dec , Chris Lott wrote:
      > I am trying to modify this script:
      > https://github.com/fncll/wordnet.vim/blob/master/plugin/wordnet.vim
      >
      > so that I can press `q` to quit.
      >
      > However, when the scratch buffer opens with the results, there is a
      > double-quotation mark in the command line that I have to `ESC` out of
      > before I can do anything. I have no idea what that " means or where it
      > is coming from.
      >
      > So, where is it coming from and how can I stop it?
      >
      > c
      > --
      > Chris Lott <chris@...>
      >
      > --
      > You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
      > Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
      > For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

      I don't know either. But you can just add:

      nmap <buffer> q :quit<cr>

      after the line with 'mapclear <buffer>'. Then you can press q to quit
      the wordnet buffer.

      Maybe <c-u> could help (:help c^u).

      Cheers,
      Marcin

      --
      You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
      Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
      For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
    • Tony Mechelynck
      ... A double quotation mark in the command-line usually means that Ctrl-R has been hit. It waits for a register identifier. Have you maybe ended a mapping with
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2012
      • 0 Attachment
        On 04/12/12 07:05, Chris Lott wrote:
        > I am trying to modify this script:
        > https://github.com/fncll/wordnet.vim/blob/master/plugin/wordnet.vim
        >
        > so that I can press `q` to quit.
        >
        > However, when the scratch buffer opens with the results, there is a
        > double-quotation mark in the command line that I have to `ESC` out of
        > before I can do anything. I have no idea what that " means or where it
        > is coming from.
        >
        > So, where is it coming from and how can I stop it?
        >
        > c
        > --
        > Chris Lott <chris@...>
        >
        A double quotation mark in the command-line usually means that Ctrl-R
        has been hit. It waits for a register identifier.

        Have you maybe ended a mapping with <C-R> (meaning control-R) instead of
        <CR> (meaning carriage return i.e. Enter)?


        Best regards,
        Tony.
        --
        APL is a mistake, carried through to perfection. It is the language of
        the future for the problems of the past: it creates a new generation of
        coding bums.

        --
        You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
        Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
        For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
      • Chris Lott
        ... I should have pushed my latest revision out, because that s almost exactly what I had done! The problem is that pesky in the command line, which isn t
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 4, 2012
        • 0 Attachment
          On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 2:02 AM, Marcin Szamotulski <mszamot@...> wrote:
          > On 21:05 Mon 03 Dec , Chris Lott wrote:
          >> I am trying to modify this script:
          >
          > I don't know either. But you can just add:
          >
          > nmap <buffer> q :quit<cr>
          >
          > after the line with 'mapclear <buffer>'. Then you can press q to quit
          > the wordnet buffer.
          >
          > Maybe <c-u> could help (:help c^u).

          I should have pushed my latest revision out, because that's almost
          exactly what I had done! The problem is that pesky " in the command
          line, which isn't coming from an accidental <C-R>...so the first press
          of 'q' cancels that.

          I tried mapping
          nmap <buffer> q <c-u>:q
          which is the key sequence that works when I do it manually, but no dice.

          I can just quit with qq now, but it's a matter of principle now :)

          c
          --
          Chris Lott <chris@...>

          --
          You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
          Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
          For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
        • Chris Lott
          ... FYI: I figured this out. It was a stray quotation mark *I* put in the key mapping to call the function. Argh. Of course it didn t throw any kind of error
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 4, 2012
          • 0 Attachment
            On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 7:17 AM, Chris Lott <chris@...> wrote:
            > On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 2:02 AM, Marcin Szamotulski <mszamot@...> wrote:
            >> On 21:05 Mon 03 Dec , Chris Lott wrote:
            >>> I am trying to modify this script:

            FYI: I figured this out. It was a stray quotation mark *I* put in the
            key mapping to call the function. Argh. Of course it didn't throw any
            kind of error so it was all the "nut behind the wheel" as they say.
            Sorry to waste your time!

            c
            --
            Chris Lott <chris@...>

            --
            You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
            Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
            For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
          • Tony Mechelynck
            ... Happy to know you found the solution. You aren t the first one (and, I d bet, not the last one either) not to see something for a long time because it was
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 4, 2012
            • 0 Attachment
              On 04/12/12 17:33, Chris Lott wrote:
              > On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 7:17 AM, Chris Lott <chris@...> wrote:
              >> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 2:02 AM, Marcin Szamotulski <mszamot@...> wrote:
              >>> On 21:05 Mon 03 Dec , Chris Lott wrote:
              >>>> I am trying to modify this script:
              >
              > FYI: I figured this out. It was a stray quotation mark *I* put in the
              > key mapping to call the function. Argh. Of course it didn't throw any
              > kind of error so it was all the "nut behind the wheel" as they say.
              > Sorry to waste your time!
              >
              > c
              > --
              > Chris Lott <chris@...>
              >

              Happy to know you found the solution. You aren't the first one (and, I'd
              bet, not the last one either) not to see something for a long time
              because it was too obvious. Remember the "Purloined Letter" novel, where
              a compromising letter was not found because it was "hidden" in plain
              view? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purloined_Letter

              Happy Vimming!
              Tony.
              --
              We gave you an atomic bomb, what do you want, mermaids?
              -- I. I. Rabi to the Atomic Energy Commission

              --
              You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
              Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
              For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.