Re: how to execute ranger from gvim

  • Gary Johnson
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 3, 2012
      On 2012-12-03, ping wrote:
      > On 12/3/2012 8:06 PM, Gary Johnson wrote:
      > > exe 'edit' readfile(tmpfile)[0]
      > thanks for the line by line annotation, now I understand!
      >
      > just one last small thing, in the above line, won't it suffice just:
      > exe readfile(tmpfile)
      > ?

      I'm not sure what you are expecting that command to do. The :exe
      command executes its argument string, so its argument string must be
      an executable Vim command. The readline() function returns a list
      (which is not a string), and the first element of that list will in
      this case be a file name. A file name is not an executable Vim
      command.

      > my test shows that will only give me a line of the file name, but now
      > the file contents so you are right,
      > but help says:
      > readfile({fname} [, {binary} [, {max}]])
      > Read file {fname} and return a List, each line of the file
      > as an item. Lines broken at NL characters. Macintosh files
      > separated with CR will result in a single long line
      > (unless a
      > NL appears somewhere).
      >
      > so readfile should have "read" the "file", why I only get the
      > filename instead?

      The readfile() function read the file whose name was the value of
      the tmpfile variable. That file contained the name of the file you
      selected in ranger.

      Maybe an example would be clearer.

      Let's say you execute :RangerChooser in an unnamed buffer. The
      tempname() function returns the name of a temporary file, something
      like /tmp/vuZJYgI/2, so ranger is executed with arguments like this:

      ranger --choosefile=/tmp/vuZJYgI/2 .

      You browse your home directory and select a file named hello.txt.
      Ranger saves the string "/home/ping/hello.txt" into the file
      /tmp/vuZJYgI/2 and exits. Vim now executes
      readfile("/tmp/vuZJYgI/2") which returns the list

      ['/home/ping/hello.txt']

      The zeroth element of that list, specified in the function as

      readfile(tmpfile)[0]

      is the string '/home/ping/hello.txt'. The command

      exe 'edit' readfile(tmpfile)[0]

      evaluates to

      edit '/home/ping/hello.txt'

      which is the desired result.

      Regards,
      Gary

    • ping
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 4, 2012
        On 12/04/2012 01:19 AM, Gary Johnson wrote:
        > On 2012-12-03, ping wrote:
        >> On 12/3/2012 8:06 PM, Gary Johnson wrote:
        >>> exe 'edit' readfile(tmpfile)[0]
        >> thanks for the line by line annotation, now I understand!
        >>
        >> just one last small thing, in the above line, won't it suffice just:
        >> exe readfile(tmpfile)
        >> ?
        > I'm not sure what you are expecting that command to do. The :exe
        > command executes its argument string, so its argument string must be
        > an executable Vim command. The readline() function returns a list
        > (which is not a string), and the first element of that list will in
        > this case be a file name. A file name is not an executable Vim
        > command.
        >
        >> my test shows that will only give me a line of the file name, but now
        >> the file contents so you are right,
        >> but help says:
        >> readfile({fname} [, {binary} [, {max}]])
        >> Read file {fname} and return a List, each line of the file
        >> as an item. Lines broken at NL characters. Macintosh files
        >> separated with CR will result in a single long line
        >> (unless a
        >> NL appears somewhere).
        >>
        >> so readfile should have "read" the "file", why I only get the
        >> filename instead?
        > The readfile() function read the file whose name was the value of
        > the tmpfile variable. That file contained the name of the file you
        > selected in ranger.
        >
        > Maybe an example would be clearer.
        >
        > Let's say you execute :RangerChooser in an unnamed buffer. The
        > tempname() function returns the name of a temporary file, something
        > like /tmp/vuZJYgI/2, so ranger is executed with arguments like this:
        >
        > ranger --choosefile=/tmp/vuZJYgI/2 .
        >
        > You browse your home directory and select a file named hello.txt.
        > Ranger saves the string "/home/ping/hello.txt" into the file
        > /tmp/vuZJYgI/2 and exits. Vim now executes
        > readfile("/tmp/vuZJYgI/2") which returns the list
        >
        > ['/home/ping/hello.txt']
        >
        > The zeroth element of that list, specified in the function as
        >
        > readfile(tmpfile)[0]
        >
        > is the string '/home/ping/hello.txt'. The command
        >
        > exe 'edit' readfile(tmpfile)[0]
        >
        > evaluates to
        >
        > edit '/home/ping/hello.txt'
        >
        > which is the desired result.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Gary
        that is super clear !(I also got it this morning on my way driving to
        work :D )
        good learning for me, thanks for all the explanations.

      • ping
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 5, 2012

          On 12/04/2012 01:19 AM, Gary Johnson wrote:
          > On 2012-12-03, ping wrote:
          >> On 12/3/2012 8:06 PM, Gary Johnson wrote:
          >>> exe 'edit' readfile(tmpfile)[0]
          >> thanks for the line by line annotation, now I understand!
          >>
          >> just one last small thing, in the above line, won't it suffice just:
          >> exe readfile(tmpfile)
          >> ?
          >
          > I'm not sure what you are expecting that command to do. The :exe
          > command executes its argument string, so its argument string must be
          > an executable Vim command. The readline() function returns a list
          > (which is not a string), and the first element of that list will in
          > this case be a file name. A file name is not an executable Vim
          > command.
          >
          >> my test shows that will only give me a line of the file name, but now
          >> the file contents so you are right,
          >> but help says:
          >> readfile({fname} [, {binary} [, {max}]])
          >> Read file {fname} and return a List, each line of the file
          >> as an item. Lines broken at NL characters. Macintosh files
          >> separated with CR will result in a single long line
          >> (unless a
          >> NL appears somewhere).
          >>
          >> so readfile should have "read" the "file", why I only get the
          >> filename instead?
          >
          > The readfile() function read the file whose name was the value of
          > the tmpfile variable. That file contained the name of the file you
          > selected in ranger.
          >
          > Maybe an example would be clearer.
          >
          > Let's say you execute :RangerChooser in an unnamed buffer. The
          > tempname() function returns the name of a temporary file, something
          > like /tmp/vuZJYgI/2, so ranger is executed with arguments like this:
          >
          > ranger --choosefile=/tmp/vuZJYgI/2 .
          >
          > You browse your home directory and select a file named hello.txt.
          > Ranger saves the string "/home/ping/hello.txt" into the file
          > /tmp/vuZJYgI/2 and exits. Vim now executes
          > readfile("/tmp/vuZJYgI/2") which returns the list
          >
          > ['/home/ping/hello.txt']
          >
          > The zeroth element of that list, specified in the function as
          >
          > readfile(tmpfile)[0]
          >
          > is the string '/home/ping/hello.txt'. The command
          >
          > exe 'edit' readfile(tmpfile)[0]
          >
          > evaluates to
          >
          > edit '/home/ping/hello.txt'
          >
          > which is the desired result.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Gary

          a little bit enhance -- to make ranger continue with where it left off.

          I think there should be also a way to make the cursor stay on the last
          exited file(but not open) when re-run?

          if !exists("Rangerdir")
              let RangerDir='.'
          endif

          fun! RangerChooser(...)

          "define a temp var to store name of a temp file, which was use
          "by ranger to store name of the file to be opened
          "
              let tmpfile = tempname()     "generate a temp name,like '/tmp/vuZJYgI/2'
              let tmpdir = tempname()     "for file and dir, for ranger use

          "determine what dir that ranger will start with
              if g:RangerDir != '.'     "if dir get changed (by ranger)
              let dir = g:RangerDir     "continue from the last changed dir
              elseif a:0 > 0 && a:1 != ""    "if not changed,if supplied an non-empty
              let dir = a:1         "argument from user,use it
              elseif expand("%")         "if current buffer has a name
              let dir = expand("%:p:h") "use dir containing curr buffer
              else             "otherwise(there is no even curr named buffer)
              let dir = '.'         "start from current working dir
              endif

          "call ranger: ranger --choosefile=tmpfile $dir
          "start from 'dir', when exit,
          "save selected filename/foldername to temp file named 'tmpfile'/'tmpdir'
              exe 'silent !ranger --choosefile='.tmpfile '--choosedir='.tmpdir dir
              "read and save the real folder name from the saved temp file
              if filereadable(tmpdir)     "if tempfile is readable
              "read tmpfile for the filename, then edit in curr buff
              let g:RangerDir=readfile(tmpdir)[0]
              call delete(tmpdir)     "delete the tmpfile
              endif

              "retrieve and save the real file name out of the saved temp file
              if filereadable(tmpfile)     "if tempfile is readable
              "read tmpfile for the filename, then edit in curr buff
              exe 'edit' readfile(tmpfile)[0]
              call delete(tmpfile)     "delete the tmpfile
              endif
              redraw!
          endfun
          map ,r :call RangerChooser()<CR>
          command -nargs=? RangerChooser call RangerChooser("<args>")

          B.t.w, per man ranger there is also a bashrc way to do it.

          Bash: cd to last path after exit
              This is a bash function (for ~/.bashrc) to change the directory to
              the last visited one after ranger quits.  You can always type "cd -"
              to go back to the original one.

               function ranger-cd {
                 tempfile='/tmp/chosendir'
                 /usr/bin/ranger --choosedir="$tempfile" "${@:-$(pwd)}"
                 test -f "$tempfile" &&
                 if [ "$(cat -- "$tempfile")" != "$(echo -n `pwd`)" ]; then
                   cd -- "$(cat "$tempfile")"
                 fi
                 rm -f -- "$tempfile"
               }