scratch buffer opening with a " in the command line

  • Chris Lott
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2012
      I am trying to modify this script:
      https://github.com/fncll/wordnet.vim/blob/master/plugin/wordnet.vim

      so that I can press `q` to quit.

      However, when the scratch buffer opens with the results, there is a
      double-quotation mark in the command line that I have to `ESC` out of
      before I can do anything. I have no idea what that " means or where it
      is coming from.

      So, where is it coming from and how can I stop it?

      Chris Lott <chris@...>

    • Marcin Szamotulski
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2012
        On 21:05 Mon 03 Dec , Chris Lott wrote:
        > I am trying to modify this script:
        > https://github.com/fncll/wordnet.vim/blob/master/plugin/wordnet.vim
        >
        > so that I can press `q` to quit.
        >
        > However, when the scratch buffer opens with the results, there is a
        > double-quotation mark in the command line that I have to `ESC` out of
        > before I can do anything. I have no idea what that " means or where it
        > is coming from.
        >
        > So, where is it coming from and how can I stop it?

        > Chris Lott <chris@...>

        I don't know either. But you can just add:

        nmap <buffer> q :quit<cr>

        after the line with 'mapclear <buffer>'. Then you can press q to quit
        the wordnet buffer.

        Maybe <c-u> could help (:help c^u).

        Cheers,
        Marcin

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 4, 2012
          On 04/12/12 07:05, Chris Lott wrote:
          > I am trying to modify this script:
          > https://github.com/fncll/wordnet.vim/blob/master/plugin/wordnet.vim
          >
          > so that I can press `q` to quit.
          >
          > However, when the scratch buffer opens with the results, there is a
          > double-quotation mark in the command line that I have to `ESC` out of
          > before I can do anything. I have no idea what that " means or where it
          > is coming from.
          >
          > So, where is it coming from and how can I stop it?

          > Chris Lott <chris@...>

          A double quotation mark in the command-line usually means that Ctrl-R
          has been hit. It waits for a register identifier.

          Have you maybe ended a mapping with <C-R> (meaning control-R) instead of
          <CR> (meaning carriage return i.e. Enter)?

          APL is a mistake, carried through to perfection. It is the language of
          the future for the problems of the past: it creates a new generation of
          coding bums.

        • Chris Lott
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 4, 2012
            On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 2:02 AM, Marcin Szamotulski <mszamot@...> wrote:
            > On 21:05 Mon 03 Dec , Chris Lott wrote:
            >> I am trying to modify this script:
            >
            > I don't know either. But you can just add:
            >
            > nmap <buffer> q :quit<cr>
            >
            > after the line with 'mapclear <buffer>'. Then you can press q to quit
            > the wordnet buffer.
            >
            > Maybe <c-u> could help (:help c^u).

            I should have pushed my latest revision out, because that's almost
            exactly what I had done! The problem is that pesky " in the command
            line, which isn't coming from an accidental <C-R>...so the first press
            of 'q' cancels that.

            I tried mapping
            nmap <buffer> q <c-u>:q
            which is the key sequence that works when I do it manually, but no dice.

            I can just quit with qq now, but it's a matter of principle now :)

            Chris Lott <chris@...>

          • Chris Lott
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 4, 2012
              On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 7:17 AM, Chris Lott <chris@...> wrote:
              > On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 2:02 AM, Marcin Szamotulski <mszamot@...> wrote:
              >> On 21:05 Mon 03 Dec , Chris Lott wrote:
              >>> I am trying to modify this script:

              FYI: I figured this out. It was a stray quotation mark *I* put in the
              key mapping to call the function. Argh. Of course it didn't throw any
              kind of error so it was all the "nut behind the wheel" as they say.
              Sorry to waste your time!

              Chris Lott <chris@...>

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 4, 2012
                On 04/12/12 17:33, Chris Lott wrote:
                > On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 7:17 AM, Chris Lott <chris@...> wrote:
                >
                > FYI: I figured this out. It was a stray quotation mark *I* put in the
                > key mapping to call the function. Argh. Of course it didn't throw any
                > kind of error so it was all the "nut behind the wheel" as they say.
                > Sorry to waste your time!

                > Chris Lott <chris@...>

                Happy to know you found the solution. You aren't the first one (and, I'd
                bet, not the last one either) not to see something for a long time
                because it was too obvious. Remember the "Purloined Letter" novel, where
                a compromising letter was not found because it was "hidden" in plain
                view? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purloined_Letter

                Happy Vimming!
                We gave you an atomic bomb, what do you want, mermaids?
                -- I. I. Rabi to the Atomic Energy Commission