Re: how can you delete every line between two phrases?

  • Tim Chase
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 2, 2012
      On 12/02/12 20:46, stosss wrote:
      > On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 9:39 PM, Tim Chase <vim@...> wrote:
      >> On 12/02/12 20:15, Jiaxing Wang wrote:
      >>> In :g/how are you?/.;/:-)/d,
      >>> Is '/how are you?/.;/:-)/' the pattern in
      >>> :[range]g[lobal]/{pattern}/[cmd]?
      >>> Would you mind explaining this pattern a little? I don't quite
      >>> understand this, thanks.
      >>
      >> [snip my rambling about ranges]
      >
      > I looked at :help :range as Tim suggested above. Just want to see if I
      > understand correctly. Does vim do addressing like sed? That seems to
      > be what I see.

      Yes, only better. Sed has a difficult time going backwards (you
      have to gather things up in the hold space or in the current
      buffer). Vim has no problems marching all over your document, so
      you can use marks, relative & absolute line numbering, searching
      forwards and backwards, or any chain of those you want in any order
      that suits your needs.

      -tim