Re: Spam from admin@139.com

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 2, 2012
      On 02/12/12 10:55, John Beckett wrote:
      > This is an updated outline of the vim_use spam problem.
      > Following some email exchanges, I am trying a few things to see
      > if I can find a solution and may have more updates.
      >
      > The following uses "-at-" instead of "@" so the Google Groups
      > web interface will not hide the email addresses.
      >
      > It appears that every user who emails a message to the vim_use
      > mailing list receives a junk mail from admin-at-139.com a few hours
      > later. Each individual can defeat that by flagging the mail as
      > spam so it is not seen in the future. However, the problem
      > should be fixed because it is confusing and irritating for each
      > new poster.
      >
      > It looks like the following happened:
      > 1. Someone subscribed to vim_use.
      > 2. They set their email to forward messages to
      > number-at-139.com (where 'number' is a valid mobile phone
      > number in China).
      > 3. They stopped using the mobile number (around July 2012?).
      > 4. Another person was issued the number but (fortunately for
      > them), they have not activated the number to receive email.
      >
      > When a user emails a message to vim_use, Google Groups delivers
      > that message to each member with the following in the header:
      > From: Username <user-at-example.com>
      >
      > The 139.com mail system should use the "Reply-To" address,
      > however they reply to the "From:" address to alert the sender
      > that the recipient has not activated their email.
      >
      > This problem started around 9 July 2012.
      >
      > John

      In my gmail "spam" folder I indeed notice messages in Chinese sent by
      "admin", and at mouseover that sendername expands to admin-at-139.com.
      Only a drop in the sea of spam I get from other sources.

      Can I do anything to help you? Do you want one or more such emails sent
      forward-as-attachment so you could have a look at the "Received" lines
      in the headers? (I suppose you get enough of them yourself though).

      Arthur pulls Pin out. The MONK blesses the grenade as ...
      ARTHUR: (quietly) One, two, five ...
      GALAHAD: Three, sir!
      ARTHUR: Three.
      PICTURES LTD

    • JohnBeckett
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 16, 2012
        I am attempting to find the vim_use member who is forwarding
        mail to an account at 139.com that they are no longer using,
        with the result that everyone who posts to vim_use receives a
        confusing spam response from admin@... 24 hours later.

        I have sent a message to all 2123 members of vim_use who are set
        to receive email, and have not received a spam response from
        admin@... (I was hoping to get such a response, which would
        have allowed me to identify the subscribed address responsible).

        The messages were sent 60 at a time by pasting addresses into
        BCC. The header would therefore be very different from that of a
        message from vim_use, and that may account for why I did not get
        a response.

        I will discuss whether anything more can be done with Bram.

        John

      • James Freer
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 17, 2012
          On Sun, 16 Dec 2012, JohnBeckett wrote:

          > I am attempting to find the vim_use member who is forwarding
          > mail to an account at 139.com that they are no longer using,
          > with the result that everyone who posts to vim_use receives a
          > confusing spam response from admin@... 24 hours later.
          >
          > I have sent a message to all 2123 members of vim_use who are set
          > to receive email, and have not received a spam response from
          > admin@... (I was hoping to get such a response, which would
          > have allowed me to identify the subscribed address responsible).
          >
          > The messages were sent 60 at a time by pasting addresses into
          > BCC. The header would therefore be very different from that of a
          > message from vim_use, and that may account for why I did not get
          > a response.
          >
          > I will discuss whether anything more can be done with Bram.
          >
          > John

          [xubuntu 12.04 linux user]

          I received that spam mail ONCE. Gmail seems to cope with spam better than yahoo
          or aol (as the large providers) and it would seem that problems could lie with
          folk who've set up their own email servers.

          With aol (i only use it as a spare email and only have it for AIM) i did have a
          problem with a certain email virus that sent emails to each listed in the
          addressbook. Now i use Alpine and have deleted ALL addressbook entries on the
          server i've had no more problems.

          Perhaps someone more IT email knowledgeable can advise how this spam email is
          working and thus we can resolve the issue. For it seems to have gone.

          james

        • John Beckett
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 20, 2012
            I have no idea why, but it appears that the spam from
            admin@... to anyone who posts to vim_use has stopped. As I
            mentioned, I have emailed everyone who receives vim_use asking
            about the problem (in batches of 60 at a time). Thanks to those
            who responded. I unsubscribed 60 members since some of them were
            obvious spammers but had not been banned, while others had
            permanent mail errors (for example, quite a lot were from
            yahoo.com which replied that the account did not exist). I am
            not aware of doing anything that might have fixed the spam
            problem, but perhaps all the noise caused someone to notice.

            Please let me know if anyone receives a new spam from now on.

            John

          • Fredrik Andersson
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 20, 2012
              On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 9:02 AM, John Beckett <johnb.beckett@...> wrote:
              I have no idea why, but it appears that the spam from
              admin@... to anyone who posts to vim_use has stopped. As I
              mentioned, I have emailed everyone who receives vim_use asking
              about the problem (in batches of 60 at a time). Thanks to those
              who responded. I unsubscribed 60 members since some of them were
              obvious spammers but had not been banned, while others had
              permanent mail errors (for example, quite a lot were from
              yahoo.com which replied that the account did not exist). I am
              not aware of doing anything that might have fixed the spam
              problem, but perhaps all the noise caused someone to notice.

              Please let me know if anyone receives a new spam from now on.

              John

              Many thanks for fixing this!

            • Phil Dobbin
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 20, 2012
                On 12/20/2012 08:02 AM, John Beckett wrote:

                > I have no idea why, but it appears that the spam from
                > admin@... to anyone who posts to vim_use has stopped. As I
                > mentioned, I have emailed everyone who receives vim_use asking
                > about the problem (in batches of 60 at a time). Thanks to those
                > who responded. I unsubscribed 60 members since some of them were
                > obvious spammers but had not been banned, while others had
                > permanent mail errors (for example, quite a lot were from
                > yahoo.com which replied that the account did not exist). I am
                > not aware of doing anything that might have fixed the spam
                > problem, but perhaps all the noise caused someone to notice.
                >
                > Please let me know if anyone receives a new spam from now on.

                Thank you, John, for taking the time to clear this up. Any dealings with
                email is usually tedious & time consuming so much appreciated.

                Cheers,

                Phil...

                --
                currently (ab)using
                CentOS 5.8 & 6.3, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Beefy & Spherical,