Re: email plugin

  • Suresh Govindachar
    Message 1 of 38 , Nov 30, 2012
      On 11/30/2012 5:34 PM, Rostislav Svoboda wrote:
      > I'd sum up this thread:
      >
      > 1. Vmail:
      >
      > This seems to be the kind of thing I look for. But it depends on
      > sqlite3, ruby, lynx and maybe some other packages so get:
      >
      > ERROR: Error installing vmail:
      > ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
      >
      > 2. Vim as an external editor for email client X (including mutt and
      > "Text Editor Anywhere"):
      >
      > This is exactly the opposite of what I'd like to achieve. I'd like to
      > have _real_ vim plugin for emailing so I can take advantage of some
      > other plugins, omni completion, scripting, folding... all that stuff
      > where vim excels.
      >
      > You may oppose: "So you want vim to be like that Operating System
      > lacking a decent editor?". Yes, sort of. I think there's a point
      > having everything under one roof: The synergy effect.
      >
      > Thanks for your replies
      >
      > Bost

      Consider The Mail Suite (TMS):

      I used to use this for many years when I was on 32-bit Microsoft
      Windows. Since I moved to 64 bit, I have not been able to find or to
      build Vim with support for 64 bit perl, and so am not sure what tweaks
      will need to be done to make it work under 64 bit Microsoft Windows and
      64 bit perl. Also, when I had access to a linux system, I had verified
      that TMS works there; no idea what tweaks will need to be done to make
      TMS work under newer linux releases.

      --Suresh

    • Christian Brabandt
      Message 38 of 38 , Dec 4, 2012
        Hi vim_use!

        On Sa, 01 Dez 2012, Christian Brabandt wrote:

        > Hi Chris!
        >
        > On Fr, 30 Nov 2012, Chris Lott wrote:
        >
        > > On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 1:22 AM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I use several handwritten plugin for fixing wrongly encoded characters
        > > > (e.g. change Ä into Ä and several others),
        > > > Deleting quoted Signatures, adding my Signature, changing subject,
        > > > setting options (textwidth, expandtab, formatoptions), reformatting the
        > > > text, spellchecking (this plugin was made before spell checking was
        > > > available in Vim), inserting special text, as well as custom completion
        > > > for addresses and attaching files (this functionality is available in
        > > > my CheckAttach plugin for use with mutt).
        > >
        > > Any chance you would share any of these?
        >
        > Let me first document this a little bit. Currently it is just a bunch of
        > files and a little bit messy to share. I'll update here when I have
        > written down this a little bit, so you can more easily select what you
        > need.

        Here is it:
        http://www.256bit.org/~chrisbra/cms/vim_as_e-mail_editor.html

        Mit freundlichen Grüßen
        Christian
        --
        "Was sind Tragödien anders als versifizierte Passionen solcher
        Leute, die sich aus den äußern Dingen ich weiß nicht was machen?"