Re: Interpretation of extension fields in tags file

  • Johannes Deutsch
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2012
      On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 17:04:49 +0100
      Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

      > On 28/11/12 16:20, Johannes Deutsch wrote:
      > > Hello list,
      > >
      > > related to the generation of a tags file via ctags one finds almost
      > > always the following options switched on (googling for "vim ctags
      > > field"):
      > >
      > > ctags --fields=+iaS \
      > > --extra=+q [other_options] [files/dirs]
      > >
      > > With respect to the three additional fields, added to the tags file
      > > by the switch '--fields=+iaS', vim's help (:h tag-old-static) tells
      > > me
      > >
      > > There is one field that doesn't have a ':'. This is the
      > > kind of the tag. It is handled like it was preceded with "kind:".
      > > See the documentation of ctags for the kinds it produces.
      > >
      > > The only other field currently recognized by Vim is "file:"
      > > (with an empty value). It is used for a static tag.
      > >
      > > I can't find anything about the fields that contains the signature
      > > of routine (S), access of class members (a) and inheritance
      > > information (i).
      > >
      > > In the light of vim's help I wonder why i find so many
      > > sites that evokes --fields=+iaS?
      > >
      > > Is vim able to use the extension fields out of the box? Or maybe
      > > there is another explanation why extension fields are so popular!?
      > >
      > > Thanks a lot for your time and best regards
      > >
      > > Johannes
      > >

      > The taglist() function returns a List of Dictionaries (one Dictionary
      > per matching tag) which (IIUC) gives you access to this info.
      >
      > see :help taglist()

      Thank you for your answer.

      Do you know any vim scripts that make the key:value pairs returned by
      taglist() easy accessible to the user? In particular i think about
      adding information to the drop down completion menu. Currently it only
      shows the value of name, kind and cmd. Can the user change the entries
      that are shown?